Honda D Series Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,417 Posts
I noticed for a long time now that my steering wheel always moving back whenever I go over a pavement, I’m the slightest pothole or if the road is uneven. I changed tie rod in and outer portions. Changed control arms because the bushings shattered, but I still having the steering movement issues. Not shore why, my next bet is the ball joint that can cause that slappy steering feeling.
Did you get an alignment yet?

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '98 Civic Hatch - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,280 Posts
When the balljoints get bad, they usually make a ton of noise. A lot of people put crap coilovers on their car and think the coilovers are making noise when they steer. But a lot of times, it's the lower balljoints making that sound. When you hear that gnarly squeek, it's probably the ball joint. I know for certain that the crap coilovers I tested for fun put serious and unneccessary strain on my balljoints. Enough to obviously crack them both from taking the brunt of Michigan bumps.

In your case, with new tie rods, I would also say there is something up with your rack.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
The inner tie rods should be full of fluid if the inner rack seals are leaking. Find the rubber accordion boots, give them a good squeeze and see if any fluid comes out.

Any other steering problems, the control arm bushings on these civics suck donkey dick. The suspension geometry puts a ton of pressure on them and binds them if they are worn out.

I put BLOX sphericals in my 2001's front control arms, car never tracked better and smoother. I do spray the spherical joints down with silicone spray quite often to keep moisture and dirt away. They do show signs of wear and tear, but the bearings are servicable for $20 a side, so I dont really care

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.