Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed a sound coming from my right front wheel whenever I turn the steering all the way to the left while slowly moving. I’m not sure what could it be. If anyone have any idea please let me know.

·
Registered
EJ8
47 Posts
It could be a number of things.

Bad tie rods, worn out bushings, ball joints, CV axles/joints, wheel bearing, steering rack issues, sway links...

What kind of sound does it make? Creaking, Grinding, Clunking, Clicking... ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be a number of things.

Bad tie rods, worn out bushings, ball joints, CV axles/joints, wheel bearing, steering rack issues, sway links...

What kind of sound does it make? Creaking, Grinding, Clunking, Clicking... ?
I’m not sure what creaking sound really sound like but it’s not clunking, grinding or clicking but I would more say it’s a long sound with no breaking up in between.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it’s not that kinda of sound. It doesn’t make the sound if I turn the left to right. It only make the sound when I turn the to far left, not when the vehicle in park but when I’m slowly moving and make that left turn all the way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Post the video on YouTube and link it here. We can’t really help you otherwise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m not sure what creaking sound really sound like but it’s not clunking, grinding or clicking but I would more say it’s a long sound with no breaking up in between.
it could be the sway bar i have a 05 honda civic just saying

No it’s not that kinda of sound. It doesn’t make the sound if I turn the left to right. It only make the sound when I turn the to far left, not when the vehicle in park but when I’m slowly moving and make that left turn all the way.
also it could be the front strut suspension

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,224 Posts
power steering lol

• Haha
Reactions: Sam_

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
power steering lol
Ok, I was assuming that since it make that funny sound as if air is in the rock. Te fluid in the ppower steering tank will get lower over a time period but I can’t seem t find any leaks and nothing drops on the ground either. I got that rock from the junkyard and changed it last year as well. What you think is the solution now?
Power steering for sure
Power steering for sure
ok but what is the issue though? The Rock need to be replaced again.? If it’s the power steering pump, why would It giving that sound from the right side? It should have give the sound at the power steering.

·
5,224 Posts
pushing past the seals somewhere. rebuild or replace it

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
650 Posts
Those racks like to leak in the boots and swap the fluid side to side via the transfer tube, remove the transfsr tube, crank the wheels back and forth from lock to lock, then look underneath. Good chance the pump is trash now as well, any air to the 7th gen pumps results in bearing wear that will send metal fragments into the next rack, trashing the seals.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pushing past the seals somewhere. rebuild or replace it
Ok, you missed out a word or two. But I might know what you are saying. You trying to say that fluid is pushing pass the seals somewhere right?
Those racks like to leak in the boots and swap the fluid side to side via the transfer tube, remove the transfsr tube, crank the wheels back and forth from lock to lock, then look underneath. Good chance the pump is trash now as well, any air to the 7th gen pumps results in bearing wear that will send metal fragments into the next rack, trashing the seals.
i might need to find ( Rock auto )to get a rack

·
5,224 Posts

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '98 Civic Hatch - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,277 Posts
You have interpreted his language well.

If you ever have ball joint squeek, replace them. Do not wait. This is just a warning from someone who has had two bizarre incidents happen to them.

I had my passenger ball joint snap in half about a block from home. Tore the axle out, had to have someone drag it backwards in a truck to get it back to my house. It had been squeeking, but I thought I'd change it when I had the time.

I didn't have much time to have the car down..so I replaced the balljoint and got back on with my life. Less than two months later, the driver side balljoint snapped in the EXACT same spot of the road about a block from home. Just a small bump. No potholes..nothing. This time, it pulled the axle out of the trans and tore it in half. Then, the bottom side of the ball joint with the bolt underneath it dropped onto my new front wheel. It punctured right through the aluminum and also destroyed the tire.

If any of this had happened at speed, it could have been fatal. I'm just glad my kid wasn't in the car. The odds of that happening are very low. The odds of that happening at the exact same spot are even lower.

I blame the garbage coilovers I was testing for a while before that. The fact that it happened at the exact same spot in the road less than two months later? Total sorcery. Or something.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
650 Posts
I blame the garbage coilovers I was testing for a while before that. The fact that it happened at the exact same spot in the road less than two months later? Total sorcery. Or something
That's called a good run of bad luck. been on one of those most of my life it sometimes seems, so I err on the side of caution with saftey stuff like brakes, steering, suspension, and tires.
What's that law? What can go wrong, WILL go wrong. Or is it, failure is always an option?

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '98 Civic Hatch - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,277 Posts
Hah! It was very, very bizarre. Like an instance of Deja Vu...but with more damage. I ended up taking the wheel to a dude in south west Detroit who welded it up better than new.

After that happened, I threw on my old wheel set to get around. I always torque my wheels to spec. Then I check them again..I'm totally OCD about wheel lugs.

Four months or so later, I heard a noise in the front end. It sounded bad. I turned the car around and we grabbed another car as we had an appointment we had to be at. That night, I got in the car to figure out what was wrong. I drove it down a couple side streets near my home. The sound was so bizarre, I had never heard it before. About two blocks from home, one of my front wheels fell off. Turns out the lug nuts literally worked their way off the wheel. These were the OEM lugnuts for that wheel..and since I'm so OCD about lug torque, I would have never even thought to check them. Every single lug worked their way right off the wheel. To this day, that one still boggles me. Four months after I had worked on it..and I use a big-ass torque wrench as a wheel chock as a reminder to tighten them to spec before I can pull away.

Bad luck indeed. Hah!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hah! It was very, very bizarre. Like an instance of Deja Vu...but with more damage. I ended up taking the wheel to a dude in south west Detroit who welded it up better than new.

After that happened, I threw on my old wheel set to get around. I always torque my wheels to spec. Then I check them again..I'm totally OCD about wheel lugs.

Four months or so later, I heard a noise in the front end. It sounded bad. I turned the car around and we grabbed another car as we had an appointment we had to be at. That night, I got in the car to figure out what was wrong. I drove it down a couple side streets near my home. The sound was so bizarre, I had never heard it before. About two blocks from home, one of my front wheels fell off. Turns out the lug nuts literally worked their way off the wheel. These were the OEM lugnuts for that wheel..and since I'm so OCD about lug torque, I would have never even thought to check them. Every single lug worked their way right off the wheel. To this day, that one still boggles me. Four months after I had worked on it..and I use a big-ass torque wrench as a wheel chock as a reminder to tighten them to spec before I can pull away.

Bad luck indeed. Hah!
I noticed for a long time now that my steering wheel always moving back whenever I go over a pavement, I’m the slightest pothole or if the road is uneven. I changed tie rod in and outer portions. Changed control arms because the bushings shattered, but I still having the steering movement issues. Not shore why, my next bet is the ball joint that can cause that slappy steering feeling.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts