Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1997 Honda Del Sol S has a slight issue now.

The rear outer weld nut on the rear mount of the front lower control arm broke off while I was loosening it.
(Front End -> Passenger Side -> Lower Control Arm -> Rear Arm Mount -> Bolts near outer side -> Rear Bolt -> nut welded inside frame to receive mount bolt.)

I fished my borescope into it, but there was no obvious access to it. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to cut to access this inner part of the frame so I can weld the nut back into place (after some cleanup of course). The entire area section that the mount sits is recessed.

Unfortunately the bolt is still partly inside the nut so I cannot at the moment fully remove it. I can cut the mount off if I need to, since I have a replacement. I don't have a replacement for the bolt itself, but I can probably get one if I have too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
849 Posts
I had to do the same thing on some rear control arms once... the nut that goes inside the body and was welded was just spinning when I went to remove it.

I used a torch to cut the entire center of the control arm toe link in half, managed to slip it off the bolt, then was left with a bolt hanging on to a nut that was stuck inside the car.

I cut out the slotted window with a die grinder, removed the nut and bolt, then built a new slotted window with some flatstock.

Cleaned the paint and rustproofing coating off everything, very lightly tacked a nut to the backside of the plate, and tacked an arm to it that would hold it during tightening, and welded the plate back to the body. Once I put the control arm back in place, I put a bolt through it and smashed it with a hammer to break the tack to the plate free.

I was now able to slide the toe adjustment freely, and tighten everything. Painted it all when I got done

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was probably going to cut the mount off, which would leave a bolt hanging from the frame.

I don't completely understand what you mean by the slotted window, all I have is the two holes. Did you just cut straight up into the frame around the holes, or cut in from the side somehow?

My main issue is knowing where to cut in a way that will not require a great deal of work to fix, as I lack a cutting torch and a powerful welder. I know a person who does, and has fixed things like this before, but he is booked for months.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,441 Posts
so the bolt that goes through the subframe.

might be able to cut a hole in the floor fire wall area not sure or remove the subframe cut it out and weld in patched nut..

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, specifically this one.

Neither of those solutions sound particularly fun, but it might be the only option given it's location. It might be worth it to simply replace the entire subframe considering some of the rust on it. But i'll see about pulling it down and having a look before spending the 200-300 for a mint one.

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would an EG subframe fit in an EK based vehicle? I have no idea what would be involved in that kind of swap, let alone the benefits. I plan to keep my D series engine.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,611 Posts
yes it will fit. mattliston will come shortly to explain what he did.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
EG subframe, EG lower control arms, compensator bushings, brackets.
EG rear T trans bracket.

Access? peel back carpet near ecu in passenger footwell. Use a 3 or 4inch hole saw, MAKE ACCESS.

Lemme track down pictures, and let me CONFIRM the EG swap
If you want to confirm for yourself, look up K swapping EK. Common to swap to EG stuff for 10-20 pound weight loss, plus better aftermarket compatability

Forgot, EG steering as well. U joint might need swapping, I forget (been some years)

shows some pictures of differences EG vs EK, forgot about the shock forks!! Knew I forgot something.

Also will need brackets for steering rack as well. Again, did not confirm steering U joint (steering coloumn to rack joint, inside car, pull rubber boot out)

EDIT, small youtube vid, did not watch, just searched

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,611 Posts
your swap needed the steering u-joint. we went through a few before we found what fit. you made a thread, that Im too lazy to go find

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not going to do that. If it was just bolt up then maybe, but I already bought new lower control arms, forks and other front end stuff. I don't want to go down another rabbit hole which would keep my car off the road for another year.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Then just peel that carpet back, and make an access hole so you can remove the nut, or weld it back on.

Perfectly understandable to want to minimize the BS!

EDIT
If you are clever about it, you can run to the junkyard, and grab an AC block-off grommet from a civic without AC, and cut the hole in the firewall near the subframe bolt, and have a factory looking hole, yet still waterproof

1 - 13 of 13 Posts