Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working to get my "new" car smogged. I thought all I'd need was a catalytic converter under the car and a stock air cleaner assembly. I called NAPA to price the cat. The guy said there are two cats, and the one I didn't know about costs almost $500. Now I'm worried that I've bitten off more than I can afford to chew.

Can anyone tell me if I am indeed supposed to have TWO catalytic converters? This exhaust manifold definitely looks different than the diagrams I've found, but none of the diagrams on the parts sites show what comes after the exhaust manifold. I'm guessing it's the first cat.

Do you think I'll pass a California sniff test if I just put in the second cat and the tester "overlooks" the missing first cat? I'm starting to think maybe I'll just drive this car until the registration expires and then sell it to someone for a parts car, even though it runs and drives great.

I just don't want to start sinking tons of money into getting the thing smogged. Maybe the previous owner did some other things to the engine that will cause it to fail. I don't know.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
you should pick up a shop manual for the car so you can be informed of what the factory emissions were for that year and model.
and no honda had secondary cats until the mid 90s, a d16a6 afaik to be emissions legal would only be in a 1988-1991 honda...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
I think only the y7 had the header cat.
And you won't pass because of the header. So get a stock header and under the car cat and your pass.
Ca is really hard on there emission.
88-89 STD and 88-91 HF had the header cats, 90-91 STD used the DX/Si style cat location under the car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback. Supposedly the engine is from the same year as the car, so I should be good on that. Not sure where the year is marked on it. Once I come up with the cash, I'll replace the air filter assembly, header and cat and cross my fingers.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
You should do an oil change too. :)

And make sure when you take it in to smog it, you BEAT THE FUCK out of it. It gets the cat nice and HOT which will more efficiently convert unburnt HC into H20.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Im also in CA, and no you wont have to smog it. I got my 91 Si from my mother in law for free, but had to do a brake and light check for the transfer.

HOWEVER, once its yearly checkup is due.....they will slam your dick in the door if it doesnt pass. Also, make sure the bushings are in tact. They grounded my car uring the brake and light inspection due to dryrot in the bushings. All the bushings get checked. They had mine on a lift and were all up in there. Looked like a vehicular endoscopy.

New rotors, pads, and make sure all the lights and blinkers are highly visable. I had to take my tail lights out and clean the insides of them, to make them bright enough.

They dont make you smog it, but they get you on the back end with that brake and light inspection. Just be more thorough than they are. You should be ok.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That must be a San Diego thing. Up in Humboldt all you gotta do is get the car smogged when transferring ownership, unless it's a close family member.

I know other areas have biennial smog certification requirements. They don't do that up here, and they definitely don't do any kind of yearly checkup for the things you mentioned. Thank God!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Its a California thing, the DMV will make you get a brake and light inspection before transferring anything. Thats why all of my bushings got replaced with energy suspension stuff. The yearly check up is the registration renewal and 2 year smog cert. Thats a California thing also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've lived in Humboldt County, California for ten years, and I've owned several vehicles during that time. I've never had to get any kind of brake and light inspection. We only have to do a smog check when transferring ownership.

I just did a registration and title transfer the other day and nobody said anything about that. The only thing I can find about a brake and light inspection requirement online is when the vehicle was salvaged and you have to prove that it is safe to drive before registering it as operable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts