Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project 4dr Vengence Timeline. @~'--GT3076r inside--'[email protected]

Time line
2003: Purchased car from old lady 100% stock.
**will have a pic when putfile is done with site maintenance.

2004: Dropped in a new trans, short shifter, some alteezas, F&F style front bumper, and some TYC projector headlights, fart can, tint, 17" ACE rims

2005:AEM V2 cold air intake,Tokico HP struts, H&R springs.

2006-2007: Removed tyc headlights, tyc tail lights, M3 mirrors, front bumper, Red h emblems. Puchased edelbrock turbo kit. Replaced timing belt, head gasket, got ARP headstuds, and pulled engine for first time. Spoon rep CF front lip, type R rear lip..painted stock bumper and mirrors, did black housing headlights, stock tail lights back in and mirrors painted. Added magnaflow exhaust 3", ACT HD pp, and street disc clutch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Project 4dr Vengence Timeline. @~'--gt3076r inside--'[email protected]

I ran the edelbrock engine management at 7psi for about 2-3 months, and got very bored with it..haha. So i changed to obd1, and got tuned on crome with soem rc440's, and ditched the secondary edelbrock injector setup.

The car made 215whp, 187wtq at 11psi. On the stock vtec head, and stock block.

Summer 2007: First time racing at the track, i managed to get a 13.28, and 13.31 on the 2 actual passes i made without grinding second gear in my y7 trans.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also got some new rims that summer, and went to a few fun car shows

2008: Ordered some FJ vitaras in 75.5 new bearings and rings, eagle rods, new ACT Extreme pressure plate, and 6 puck disk. Notched my block...and then made a fatal mistake, which everyoe at the time said not to worry about..turns out they were wrong and so was i...

She had a rough month of driving in the candian winter...until i bought a new winter beater and took it off the road.

the stock piston height

fresh block and tranny painted

preparing to notch

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
new house bought, new garage to play in.

the cylinder notch problem...

pieces of the rest of it came out in my oil pan after the 2008 dyno time.

It scuffed up my pistons a bit, and all of the sleeves dropped about the thickeness of this.

original valve cover paint job...not the greatest color..sanded the letters off

vitara and eagles.

vitaras in their short lived home

rough idea of how they sit in the block
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

clearances

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new clutch kit and oil pump..ready to be shimmed.

almost ready to go back in

made a modified version of the edelbrock downpipe , in 3"

engine back in and ready to go

video of first start with vitaras

Took it to get tuned..it was fine, except for the fact the guy who tuned my car, was unaware that there is a difference between tuning a z6 and a y8..for timing..
Over 30+ dyno runs were done, trying to get the car to make power..actually most of the time was spent trying to figure out the ectune boost control solenoid.

Made 237whp, 224 tq at 15psi..wouldnt make any more then that.. The minute it got off the dynojet...on the street first pull...the car pushed coolant and thats when my sleeves dropped. My season was over as fast as it began.. I had the car out for no more then a week in 2008 :(

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
2009: Comming back with a vengence!
-Sold turbo, intercooler, charge piping, turbo manifold, downpipe
-purchased new spoolin ramhorn, 3" v-band downpipe, RC750's, ectune, ostrich, hulog, lm-1 wideband, new boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, and the mother...the heart..the GT3076R, v-band.
-painted valve cover, making custom catch can with AN fittings, and stainless braided line
-d16y8 head
-supertech valve springs and titanium retainers
-2.5" piping, 31.5x11x3" intercooler
-FJT I-beam rods, and new vitara pistons again...75.5 (0.0035 PTWC)
-thick rad, and slim fan, new fan switch, thermostat and rad cap.
-tial 38mm wastegate
-elite tuning ECU, vtec converted

painted valve cover and fittings

mockup

that is where i stand today :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thank you!

I don't really know how this rep stuff works..seems like people give me rep but it never shows up..meh i dont care lol.

**oh and is it possible to change the post title of this thread? i tried but failed miserably.

Anyways updates:

Got my block and head back tonight from machine shop.
I'll be starting to put it all back together tonight, hopefully have it back in by the weekend, then its off to my friends shop for some charge pipe tig welding.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well last night i took a million pictures...i'm going to be making a DIY thread for my local car forum on putting together the bottem end end head of the d16's.

I got to the part where i was like..this is where you put in the thrust washers....then i was like..umm..where the fuck are my thrust washers..

my girlfriend but them in a box somewhere when i got them..and the box went in the garbage or something because i cant find them. I love her but damm :uh:

i have to buy some more from honda today, won't be in until tmw..

I got my machine shop to notch the block this time , thinking they would have a special precise machine to do it, as to not fuck it up..but they did it the same way i did it last time...carbide bit and a dremel. I think the last block i had was fucked because this one doesn't look like it has that ring at the bottom of the sleeve like my other one did.

I got my valves lapped, and head checked for flatness, its good to go.
Need to finish porting the intake side of it, and putting in my new springs and retainers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
^^ that is a funny avatar! lol

anyways so...i guess vtec>me.

I must be slow or something..i cant get the vtec rocker assembly back together.. i have the helm's manual..and it doesn't mention anything about these tiny little weights that appear to go in the rockers, i think i may have lost one of those.
i put the rocker assembly on the head and it does not sit flush.and yes all the dowels line up properly..i duno what the fuck is going on, but its getting anoying now..

The little things i speak of are like small 1/2 long solid(not hollow) dowels. I was missing one from one of the rockers, and i noticed i had had one(a solid one) where it looked like a hollow dowel should have been..so i took it from there...and now the assembly doesn't sit level.

this is crap..non-vtec was so much easier lol, non of these lil weights or whatever they are..

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay so i got the head back together,

started putting the block back together...then i put in my ARP's, they went in really well, as i chased the threads, cleaned them out before and hand tightened them in, and a quarter turn each with allen key..no problems.

Torque in stages..
22, 32, 42, 52

then i go to the last stage 68, my torque wrench decides not to break the toqre at 68 ft lbs...i notice its going a bit farther, so i back it off go back to 52 ft lbs, and try to go to 68 again...it seems to be turning more then normal, i stop applying pressure, and try to see if it "clicks" to see f i have passed 68...nope..not yet..so i get on it again. and snapskies.

Bye bye Arp headstud.:bash:

I never thought this would happen...but it did it broke.

I went to bed when this happpened, thoughts of burning the car to the ground came to mind.

Woke up in the morning, took the head back off, and it came out with ease out of the block..with my fingers.thank god.

now i need another arp headstud..being in canada sucks not having acess to this shit fast.

anyone wana ship me one??haha

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i duno man..defective shit or something ..haha i duno.But honestly if you do it right, the studs should not even be tight in the block anyways...the pressure is exerted on the top of the stud, not in the block..so it should not apply any tensile or tortion stress in the block anyways.Hence why the broken one came out with my fingers.
my torque wrench must not have been giving accurate torque readings.. because it did not click when i stopped and checked at 68..

I am a relatively strong guy..haha.. and im telling you..something was not right, i should have stopped, but ive had that happen before where i think im over torquing it then...click..its fine.

This time...my abs were literally burning haha from trying to get enough to turn the fucking thing on that last turn.

I called arp...they said..RECENT RESEARCH...and countless hours have shown not to torque them down in small steps. They said they could not get headgaskets to seal when they torqued them in smalled steps as it caused inaccurate torque readings. They said, torque them to 5ft lbs, then go right to the specified torque.

I was like whahhh? then everyone i know does it wrong...hes like well, yeah they have researched this alot lately and thats what we have found.So im gonna try that..and fucking get my gf to record me doing it haha..if something breaks im sending the video to them.lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
holy crap sorry for the epic size of these pics

some "porting", i actually just roughed up the intake side, and ported the exhaust sides minimally.

springs and retainers, and you can see some of the exhuast porting

crank

notching

crank all ready

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
clearance of fjr spec rods on girdle is much better than with eagles...it seems liek i wouldnt even had to of notched the girldle this time with the new rods..

vitaras and fj rods, height

Also a note for you youngsters if your doing a vitara build. the ARROWS ON THE PISTONS FACE THE FLYWHEEL SIDE NOT THE TIMING BELT SIDE LIKE NORMAL PISTONS!!

epic fail arp stud

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last Thursday i towed my car over to Gold Fab, to get my charge pipes done up.
I went away with the girl friend for a couple of days and got back to work on it some more at their shop, and it looks ridiculous.

Tonight im going back to fab up an aluminum catch can, overflow res, and washer bottle, and battery tray and have pierre at Gold fab weld it up.

All i have left to do is get some hardware from the hardware store today, and some stuff to relocate my battery.

I'll get some pictrues tonight, i'm bringin my camera out there.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha ohh buddy im getting excited...im almost done. tonight might be the night ;)

intercooler, check out those beefy ass intercooler mounts!!

sick piping, only 5 coupler system. 1 on TB, 1 on turbo, 2 on intercooler, and one on the tb side.

oil return line finished, your jelous of my machine gun dump tube

vband on exhaust

slim fan and new rad

car on the lift, look at the washer bottle..it fits!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here is why..a lil heat gun action and some moulding..voila...washer bottle fits in stock location (thanks matt)

designing my catch catn to fit without any relocation

Gold fab welds..looking amazing!

in its home all finished, look at the filter location!! haha bomb!!

almost all done...don't wana put on the gold valve cover yet though.. Look at my dope custom charge piping!!! GF FTW

If you plug the right holes on my machine gun style dump tube...at 15 lbs of boost it humms the Song "eye of the tiger" and at 25 psi of boost it humms the O Canada anthem.

This progress would not be possible if it wernt thanks to the guys at Gold Fabrication. The quality of their work speaks for itself!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
vids or neg rep!

nice looking build up. that turbo is a monster.
hahah you know i was joking right lol

i will have vids firing it up though this saturdaay..also i have a vid on youtube of starting my vitara build last year with eagle rods, and arros on pistons facing timing belt.

this year they face the trans, and i have fj rods. We'll see the difference in sound.

my paint is starting to go bad..the winter i drove it for 2 months two years ago, and it hurt it bad..then someone keyed my doors o my drivers side..
it needs to be redone...maybe next summer.

-catch can lines almost finished being routed..only the 12an drain line to go.
-water lines need to be positioned away from downpipe

then i'm ready to start it.

and yes i am on turbod16 as well.

thanks for the support guys i hope the car is fun to drive, and fast at the track this summer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you are expecting this to spool before 5500rpm? Sweet build though. :td:
is that a question or a sarcastic comment? lol

yes its gonna spool before 5500rpm..its only a .63 ar exhuast not an .82, so it shouldnt be too bad.

i imagine ill have 10-15 lbs by 5200rpm ish..When i get datalogging, ill post a datalog screen shot from ectune so you guys can see when it hits boost etc.
and if you've seen these things spool..once the boost comes on, it doesnt ttake any time to reach higher boost..

I could be wrong..we'll find out soon.

-Finished catch can lines completely.
-wired in my new HID's with dual beam...the fucking one that is jumped off the passenger side light only comes on for 5 seconds, then shuts off...its super gay..i duno whats up with it.
-one water line left make brackets for
-wired vtec up, and my ectune boost solenoid

this shit is ready to start like...tomorrow. But i need a damm inspection sticker to drive it...so thats why i didnt try this weekend.:ninja:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
started it up last night
Issues:
-drain bolt leaking on new rad..must fix
-i think something to do with new throttle body, my idle is bouncing, and sometimes ill rev the gas and the idle will stabilize, and hold around 22hg vaccuum. sometime ill rev and it will fall on its face..testing for vaccuum leaks, and adjusting idle screw needs to be done.

Videos of startup for first time, at first you can hear when it jumps on idle, then i give it some gas and this time it stabilized.
YouTube - gt3076r d16 turbo SOHC, vitara pistons, fj rspec rods, first start after rebuild

here it is running on stable idle
YouTube - GT3076r civic d16, vitara pistons, fj rods, supertech valves and retainers, first startup pt 2

and here is the comparison from the noise from last year when i had the vitara arrows facing the timing belt.
YouTube - vitara pistons d16 running startup

this turbo sounds mean as phuckkkk, launch control at 4500rpm, spools 2psi or so, and it sounds crazy!! haha videos of that to come soon.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts