Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, me and my friend were going to change the head gasket on his 00 Civic EX. all of the head bolts came out niceley BUT 2 of them, the center ones out of the 10, were hard to remove, after cleaning we determined a previous owner had messed with it and fucked it up, and tried to repair it them selfs because there was a plastic compound that was used to make new threads.

My friend is a bit pissed, doesnt want to get a new block or even take the block to a machine shop, in this case is there anything he can do? JB Weld... Heli Coils?

The only thing that came to my mind was to offer a D16Y7 block that I have which is in good shape, now his car is manual, does it matter if the Y7 block came out of an automatic?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
manual and auto cars use the same engine blocks per engine code.

a d16y7 is a d16y7, auto or manual

not very hard to check engine part numbers on oem parts websites.

YOUR GOOGLE-FU IS LACKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT take engine out, have a machine shop drill the hole straight with precision, and have them install helicoils. they have access to helicoils of the correct strength.

off the shelf helicoil kits are rarely rated for head bolt use and sometimes end up loosening up over time (generally a few years, but up to you)

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Timesert. Is the only way to fix the threads. The kit is pricey but worth the money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little update.... My friend managed to strip the timesert.... Idiot....

Now im doing the block swap.. I picked up a good looking Y8, I dont want to take it to a machine shop I rather clean it and make it look good myself.

I checked the block with a straight edge and a feeler gauge to make sure its not warped, and everything checks out, checked the blook inch by inch for signs of cracks etc, nothing, what are the odds of still being a bad block??

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
can never hurt to have a head and block milled just enough for flat. rods have any play? crank have any play? everything within spec?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im just done with the block build and yeah everything was within spec. Lastly turns out the head did needed a bit of resurfacing... Checked it yet again with a different presision ruler and had a low spot of .002 checked the block with the presision ruler and its fine.

Since its not a lot, i decided to resurface the head myself yet again ... Fudge the machine shop...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like a solid plan . . .
Its not that hard or bad.. Ive been doing this since high school thanks to my autobody/mech teacher, you just need to know what youre doing, be good with your hands and most off all have paitence...

The first time I ever did this was with my first civic it was bad it had a low spot in the center of the z6 head, .004 to be exact did it and to make sure it was straight ended up taking it to a machine shop... What they do.. Nothing told me is was flat..

Why is it that everytime I do it this way everyone acts like its a bad thing? Im guessing ppl forgot the old ways and rather waste money to have someone else do it...

Im not saying machine shops are bad in any way, im just saying why pay for something you can do at home for free?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
you are foolish

does not matter if you can get it PERFECTLY flat.

how can you guarantee you are flat with the surface? the machine shop has a hundred thousand dollars into equipment for a reason

pay the damn 50 bucks or whatever to have them surface it properly

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Are you saying it was foolish of me to call him foolish because he is trying to do things without the proper precise equipment? or foolish of me to be honest with him?

Im a person who lives nearly paycheck to paycheck. I fully enjoy doing things on my own. And I consider myself talented at learning when it comes to hands-on level of services.

But when things need a certain level of precision to perform 100% properly, a professional gets called to work.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Its not that hard or bad.. Ive been doing this since high school thanks to my autobody/mech teacher, you just need to know what youre doing, be good with your hands and most off all have paitence...

The first time I ever did this was with my first civic it was bad it had a low spot in the center of the z6 head, .004 to be exact did it and to make sure it was straight ended up taking it to a machine shop... What they do.. Nothing told me is was flat..

Why is it that everytime I do it this way everyone acts like its a bad thing? Im guessing ppl forgot the old ways and rather waste money to have someone else do it...

Im not saying machine shops are bad in any way, im just saying why pay for something you can do at home for free?
Let me guess, sand paper and a 2x4? That is old school shade tree crap. It is some what okay with cast iron and cork gaskets but that is definitely not what your Honda is meant for. The Ra (Roughness Average "surface finish") required for a aluminum head/block with MLS gasket is between 20 and 60, the lower the better.

To put it into prospective the average "belt sander" milling renders a Ra of 200-400.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes ill update my progress probably tomorrow with pics/info, in a new thread... And ill be adding cheap stuff... Like ebay bearings... Yeah you heard right!

Lastly the head is. 002 warped and the block is .003 warped, so ill be fixing both myself, lastly we decided to fix the original y8 block, the machine shop charges 150 bucks for 2 timeserts which isnt bad. Why we switched to the original y8 head with srteipped threads? Well because even though it has those bad theeads, it still looks like its in better shape.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts