Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Head Gasket Help; Running Rough

So I was recently talking with a few people over in the DIY thread, thought I would share some pics.

The head gasket was clearly fried. I am about to check the head for any warping.

I know there's not much to see in these pics but can anyone see any major defects that I may have missed.

More pics can be taken

Thanks in advance :td:

James

p.s Is there any consensus to using/not using gasket maker to help with the seal and also to keep the head gasket from moving when putting everything back together?

·
Banned
998 Posts
cooper head gasket sealer spray stuff is good.. i use it on everyone .. at the least it cant hurt.. and use a d16z6 gasket next its better and metal...

and ur pics fail because i cant see them

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
:ttiwwop:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I am a fan of copper spray, but you dont really need it to keep your hg from moving during the install, the dowel pins should do that for you (it looks like they are stuck in the head for some reason, put them in the block during the install)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've never used copper spray on any of the HG's I've ever done.
Never done one on a Honda (yet) but VWAG cars use steel HG's too...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too bad i already bought a 15b7 head gasket. Is it worth me trading it back for the d16z6?
If so what car is that motor stock in (NOOB!!!)
Pics work when they want i don't know why?

·
Banned
998 Posts
my honda dealership here only uses d16z6 head gaskets on motors they replace..so that shold tell u something..

and no copper spray can be used on everything even intake gaskets and everything. it cant hurt ur motor only help it..its not to stop it from moving around only to fill in the micro scratches and gouges that u cant even see in the surfaces.

and its 5 dollars for a whole spray can that will do many gaskets..so ask urself why not 5$ and know that ur HG is gonna seal better

and a z6 comes in si cars 92-95

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Copper spray makes a mess when you remove the gasket. Totally unecessary IMO. Save your $5 and buy a beer. Pissing on your HG won't hurt neither but why do it. If your HG alone won't make a good seal then you have a problem with your mating surfaces and should get them fixed.
Exactly, the "mess-factor"...if you're thinking the copper spray will be a band-aid for not decked your block and milling the head, think again! If you're like me and started with a fresh milled head and decked block you'll have no need to worry about sealing issues...no copper for me!

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
is this the new honda fry treats from the local bodega?

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
i use copper spray every time i change the head gasket. i have milled my head and decked my block but i still use it. Why? because copper transfers heat better than steel and also crushes more than the headgasket, the same reason people get there cylinders "o-ringed" and use a copper crush o-ring.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts