Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried jumping my car with no battery and the battery box because the battery was good as dead anyways, I threw the jumper box on it and I went to start and everything was working then click, nothing, I don’t get a key chiming sound like there’s no power at all to anything, I figured I popped something in the ecu. I plugged in my stock and I do get the key chime I didn’t try starting it because I didn’t wanna screw the stock one up, can anyone help me out?
Long story short something in the ecu is cooked and I’m not good with electronics lol point me in the right direction!

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
636 Posts
Seems more likely that you haven't jumped it properly rather than you cooked the ECU.

Did your jump pack have enough charge in it? If not, turning the key might've just sucked it dry. Maybe the ground/power connections weren't clean enough for current to pass properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ecu doesn't activate key chime..
I can plug my stock in and I get they key chime sound tho?? Which leads me to think there’s a short in the ecu I had no battery installed in the car and I plugged a jumper box to the positive an neg leads. I don’t see anything burnt out inside the ecu so what could it be..?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,454 Posts
so you plugged a jump box to the battery cables with no battery in the car. then you tried to crank it that way.....have you checked the battery fuse to make sure you didn't cook it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  • In
  • so you plugged a jump box to the battery cables with no battery in the car. then you tried to crank it that way.....have you checked the battery fuse to make sure you didn't cook it?
    jump box freshly charged, all grounds have been freshened up battery fuse doesn’t look blown..

·
4,454 Posts
don't care how it looks, put a test light on it and make sure

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
757 Posts
You sure the jump box battery is good? From the way you describe, it could be pulling the jump box battery down to the point where the key chime won't power up any more, then letting it sit for a minute when you tried swapping the ECUs, now the battery came back up a bit to power the key chime. Also, if the jump box clamps are good n worn, they might also not be making a good connection. Ive had to wiggle the clamps before finding good metal to make contact before high amperage loads would pass.

I would try buying a new battery, or robbing one off of known good vehicle, and establishing good terminal connections for testing purposes. It seems like you'll need one at some point anyways, can't drive around with a jump box under the hood lol.

Unless you hooked the jump box up backwards, 99% sure it's something else, not the ECU.

Also, like others have said, the door/key chime is independent of the ECU.

Check all obvious fat battery cable connections along the cables to make sure they are solid to their destinations.

You say you aren't good with electronics? Ever think about bringing this car to a shop?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You sure the jump box battery is good? From the way you describe, it could be pulling the jump box battery down to the point where the key chime won't power up any more, then letting it sit for a minute when you tried swapping the ECUs, now the battery came back up a bit to power the key chime. Also, if the jump box clamps are good n worn, they might also not be making a good connection. Ive had to wiggle the clamps before finding good metal to make contact before high amperage loads would pass.

I would try buying a new battery, or robbing one off of known good vehicle, and establishing good terminal connections for testing purposes. It seems like you'll need one at some point anyways, can't drive around with a jump box under the hood lol.

Unless you hooked the jump box up backwards, 99% sure it's something else, not the ECU.

Check all obvious fat battery cable connections along the cables to make sure they are solid to their destinations.

You say you aren't good with electronics? Ever think about bringing this car to a shop?
Your probably right I’m beating around the bush with a battery because I’m a cheap ass😂 I bought this car for 300$ an it ran and drove the battery had 1-2 volts in it after I got it tested so I thought just hooking up the jump box would work, I’m gonna go scoop up a battery an see if anything happens if not I got a p28 moates demon v2
Seems more likely that you haven't jumped it properly rather than you cooked the ECU.

Did your jump pack have enough charge in it? If not, turning the key might've just sucked it dry. Maybe the ground/power connections weren't clean enough for current to pass properly.

Guys I think I take the dunce of the year award,i got a new battery an I check power to battery to starter and I found my ground wire going to the battery was loose as fuck, I tightened and it started with both ECUs LMFAO I appreciate all the prompt responses!!!
Thankfully I didn’t just fry this brand new s300 xD

·
4,454 Posts
take it to the pm's boys. this isn't the classifieds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts