Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received a new set of friction dampers for my transmission(DOHC ZC; I ordered for a 91 Si transmission...original ones disintegrated). Anyways, in the manual it says they need to be pressed on; the old ones were indeed pressed on(not too strong but enough where you'd need a punch to get it off). The ones I recieved simply slipped on and have 3 tangs on them(you can't really press them on; the ones I pulled off have no tangs). Anyways, is this right? There's no groove on the 1/2 synchro hub so the 1st gear one is able to free-spin(with just 2nd and the hub on there); while the 2nd gear one(the one on the spacer collar) is able to grab onto the 3rd gear grooves(installed backwards; but otherwise slides on the synchro hub).

Am I missing something here?

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know or have a 88-91 1/2 synchro hub they can look at and say if it has the notches? Also is there anyone that can check to see if the P/Ns have been changed?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This isn't a bearing part so to say(though, the bearing kit I have I did order for "D16" anyways; doesn't include the friction dampers). Even then, according to parts catalog the D15 and D16 friction dampers are the same.

Here's the thing about the 92-95 friction damper; the lower(the one under 1st gear) has the same PN(second one is different) and the 92-95 manual specifically calls for you to align the grooves. The 88-91 manual does not; it only states the friction damper has to be pressed on(for both of the friction dampers).

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a 88-91 friction dampers for a 88-91 transmission? If so is the lower damper press-fit or have tangs?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wondering, anyone using a 92-95 hub/sleeve on a 88-91 transmission? They look the same but I'm about to take more measurements to make sure. Though, I noticed the spacer(or whatever it's called) for 2nd gear is a little bit longer than the DOHC ZC one.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
fuck if I know!!!!!!!

No press is needed. I don't have a 88-91 tranny tore apart to check, I might do that late tomorrow night. I have a going away party after work.....hiccup :)

On SCCA ITA trannys I reuse the old ones.....less drag that way. One they get started (rolling start) in second gear they never go back unless someone screws up.

EDIT: Looked up the low friction damper, same part number for 90 Si and 93 DX......

91211-PL3-T01

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been measuring and everything seems to check out(thickness, overall width, off-set if any). I really don't have much options except maybe tear down my good Si transmission(which I want to avoid).

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Bone is it normal to be very hard to turn the gear after the cone has been scuffed(1st gear seems fine; I didn't scuff it as much as 2nd....I used 800grit sand paper)?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
Hey Bone is it normal to be very hard to turn the gear after the cone has been scuffed(1st gear seems fine; I didn't scuff it as much as 2nd....I used 800grit sand paper)?
If you did use any lube when you put it back together, it'll be tight. Fresh friction dampers will also do that, which is there job :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts