Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished up my motor and finally start it up yesterday. it started up fine and idles around 1000 rpm but there is white smoke coming from the headers. is this normal for start up? i left it running for about 5 mins but the smoke didnt stop. car does not over heat, everything seems normal but just the smoke.

setup:
75.5 vitaras
GE blockgaurd
eagle rods
cometic hg
all honda bearings
ARP head stud

PS
i am also having piston slap...is this normal? and audible noise from the block

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i am also having piston slap...is this normal? and audible noise from the block
no this should not be happening. if it was the std bore piston, then yes. but you went to .5 over, so it should sound like any other engine.

the white smoke could be anything or nothing at all.

how long did you run it?
what is your oil pressure?
fuel pressure ok?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
White smoke coming from the header or out of the exhaust? Smoke coming from the header / ex mani may be oil burning off the manifold.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
White smoke is coolant, blue is oil right???

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Smoking coming off from the header is nothing to worry about. It's probably just buring all those grease/oil you left behind with your dirty hands. It'll take a while to burn it all off too.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
are you sure it is piston slap? Did you check all bearing clearances with plastiguage while building your engine? Get a mechanics stethoscope and poke it around the block to see exactly where the noise is coming from....

oh and I just noticed you are running eagle rods, did you notch the block?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok the smoke went away but the piston slap is still there. i did platigauge all the clearances and its with in specs. the sound is coming from the block i am pretty sure cause i did use a mechanics stethoscope . and yes i notch the block

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine was pouring out white smoke after i installed my supercharger come to find out it was pumping oil into my engine from the breather hole on the valve cover into the manafold.

So white smoke could be oil!
Does your coolent have bubble coming out of the filler neck? If so you might have a headgasket that didnt set right.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
ok the smoke went away but the piston slap is still there. i did platigauge all the clearances and its with in specs. the sound is coming from the block i am pretty sure cause i did use a mechanics stethoscope . and yes i notch the block
well, it sounds like you're gonna have to yank that bitch and tear it down to really know what's making the 'slap' Could be bearings, could be piston clearance to wall issues, could even be piston to valve clearance issues, but I doubt it cuz your runnin vitara's , but I don't know what cam/timing, and head mill , so who knows, sorry not much help, good luck:TU:

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
ya but it isnt smart, especially if your boostin. Get it apart before any extra damage is done so you can possibly salvage some parts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts