Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3-day weekend, so why not? Good chance to do some routine maintenance on the single stick. Okay, no problem! Later Saturday, I tear down the head. Sunday, I put the full gasket set to work. New metal 3-layer HG, new valve stem seals, cam seal, vc seal, spark tube seals, dizzy 0-ring, exhaust/intake gasket, etc... No prob, right?

Well, I set the crank @ TDC. Torqued everything down per Helms and used my new "Rowen" head studs. Besides breaking a frail screw and loosing a nut it was a smooth job.

Once everything was back together, I tried setting the timing belt. Got that on, and started her up. Runs like ass! I mean, it'll idle fine and go all through the rpms fine (road tested to 7800); but it's rougher than ever before. I messed with the dizzy timing, advanced it all the way and at that setting it seems to drive the best. But it sounds like it has a nasty stg III cam and is louder than usual.

Any advice? And after the 10-heat cycles I'll be re-torquing those head studs!
Thx

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Timing off a tooth? Sorry not too much help here bro, just throwing stuff out there.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
time it with a timing gun then tell us if it is still running rough. what ecu are u using that u take it up to 7800 rpm?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
if you have to turn the dizzy all the way to the firewall, your engine timing is probably off.

-1 for taking it up to 7.8k with it sounding like shit...... you could have easily bent a valve doing that shit. def. recheck your timing though.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^You're right, that was stupid of me...wasn't thinking last night! Just wanted the car to run! Anyhow, I'll re-check the timing during lunch and see if I can see it or not. If not, I'll go home and check it there.

I don't have a timing gun, but a friend of mine does. Problem being he's busy all week.

I run a slotted/chipped P06 with a custom N/A map, thus the raised rpm limit, lower vtec engagement (4800), etc etc...this is not an Ebay chip btw.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
you 100% sure all the cylinders are firing? I rebuilt my entire bottom end and put it all back, fired it up, only running on 3pistons...1 of the plugs was bridged from the oil when i blew a piston last time.It could be that ,cause it made mine sound like it had a nasty cam in it also..I even drove around the block.....and after i drove it, i knew somthig wont right, I could feel a ton of power lost.so id Check to make sure they all firing if the timing is right.

·
Registered
317 Posts
seems to be timing and misfire to me. Go into that book of yours and find out the correct timing. Than change your plugs (gap to oem spec.) and you should be back in "bidness".

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you 100% sure all the cylinders are firing? I rebuilt my entire bottom end and put it all back, fired it up, only running on 3pistons...1 of the plugs was bridged from the oil when i blew a piston last time.It could be that ,cause it made mine sound like it had a nasty cam in it also..I even drove around the block.....and after i drove it, i knew somthig wont right, I could feel a ton of power lost.so id Check to make sure they all firing if the timing is right.
That's exactly what I was thinking on my way to Advance Auto to get new V-powers! I get oil that ran down into the chamber due to oiling up the valves for re-insertion into the new stem seals. Very valid pt! and I'll put the new plugs in ASAP. I'll double-check timing and make sure there's spark to each cyl. Oh, I did clean the plugs thoroughly before starting it though...but oil could still damage the plug?

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*Update - used this as a reference...

so I know the firing order is right. New NGK V-powers installed and factory gapped @ .044. Then checked and re-checked the timing, view here...

&

So for some reason I thought about getting the spare P07 ecu a try. Guess what? definitely an improvement there. I'm guessing the chipped P06 with the custom "rich" tune caused more problems. But it's still not 100%, but I've had enough of it! :haha: I'll drive it easy till the weekend.

In the mean time, can someone burn me a chip for this P06 with a totally stock map? I have a chip if you need it and will pay a little bit for your time. But a stock P28 map for a Z6 would be prefect.

Any new suggestions or anything?
Thx

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Well, according to the Helms manual...the TDC mark on the pulley is white. But this is the thing, I see the 3 grouped together with the one in the middle being red; while a degree to two after there is a white-ish single mark. I've be using that mark according to what Helms said that seeing that in one of their pictures there this single mark was supposedly the TDC marking.

Did I/Helms have it wrong? Is that red mark the TDC marking on the pulley? Thx!

·
Registered
37 Posts
tdc will be a single mark.about an inch away from the three timming marks.im almost positive those colors are correct on my pully.but i have the jdm 1.5 vtec,so mabe the US is colored different.

·
Registered
37 Posts
just went out to the shop and those colors are correct.as long as your lining it up with the single mark your good on timming.sorry i cant be more help.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, still seems my timing is spot on! and if it appears that the tick mark on the pulley is ever so slightly off, I can crank the pulley just a tad bit w/o the cam gear moving (small amount of belt slack). So that's not it...

I might just need to get my friend to use the timing gun in it!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
im guessing its misfiring still if it sounds like it has a HUGE cam in it, mine misfires all the time right now and thats the sound it makes. check wires and all that good stuff too, and definitely check the timing on it with a light.

<thats a really good post # :)

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my bud from across the interstate coming over after work tomorrow with a timimg gun! Hooray! He's got a turbo'd D-series Del Sol, so he'll know what to I hope...

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish! The timing marks are still spot on and I really wished I had a P28 or something to really use. The P07 is the vtec-e ecu and activates my vtec at like 3800 or 4000 and messes up/ breaks up badly; so I'm keeping it on the down low...rpms that is.

Tomorrow I'll get my friend to time it for me and maybe a fellow Honda guy in town drive by to give his opinion as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts