Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short, i replaced my countershaft snap ring bearing due to excessive play and disassembled and cleaned everything. I noticed one of the friction dampened on the countershaft was damaged so replaced both of those.
Put everything back together, filled it with honda mtf and everything worked great for a day and a half and randomly it felt like i was hitting a wall when trying to shift into second gear, but all other gears still felt great.
I decided to just take it out and see what's going on and it looks like the little ring that goes around the synchro pushed out somehow and actually caught the teeth of the shift selector and crushed up into one of the sections of the synchro where there's no teeth basically stopping the shift selector from being able to slide up into gear.
So great, i figured out my issue, but does anybody have an idea of how this would have happened? What i could have done wrong either rebuilding it, or something i did while driving to cause it. Also, do i have to buy a whole new set of synchros to get a new ring if that looks to be the only thing damaged when I disassemble the shaft?
I took a few pictures to show what happened. The one picture is first gear just for reference of what it should look like.

Attachments

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
the new Honda mtf is trash.......10-30 is recommended.

just sit patiently until bone or aquafina come back

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Of course, i usually just use 10-30 but i figured I'd use the real stuff with my fresh rebuild.
The fluid alone couldn't cause this though could it?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
At some point the synchro tabs weren't aligned with the hub, thus you damaged the spring and brass.

It can sometimes happens when installing the 3-4-5 gears and bearings. When tapping them on second gear can bounce up and not be aligned. BTDT a few times.

PS: nailed it :) through PM's

OP: Need parts for this?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts

Yup. Only two I’d trust for that kind of advice
We've been PMing. I'll have parts to him once I get an address. I have plenty of spares.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
this is why bone is the shit!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At some point the synchro tabs weren't aligned with the hub, thus you damaged the spring and brass.

It can sometimes happens when installing the 3-4-5 gears and bearings. When tapping them on second gear can bounce up and not be aligned. BTDT a few times.
So it should have visibly been misaligned when i went to reinstall it? I was being extra careful to make sure i had the friction dampened lined up right, so i don't know how i wouldn't have noticed something not lined up.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
So it should have visibly been misaligned when i went to reinstall it? I was being extra careful to make sure i had the friction dampened lined up right, so i don't know how i wouldn't have noticed something not lined up.
I've done it more that once while installing 3-4-5 gears and the bearings. I have a 6" black pipe nipple (TWSS!) with a cap on it for tapping the gears on when needed using a 1.5" machinists hammer. It happens at times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts