·
Registered
^^^^
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after I get settled into the new house, I plan on putting together a
new (to the car) motor for my CRX. I want to keep re-wiring to a minimum
so I'm going to be using an A6 dizzy and chipped A6 ECU. The CRX is an
HF at the moment..so I'll also be buying a '91 SI transmission (cable).
Trying to keep everything as simple as possible for the time being. After
she's up and running, I can make more drastic changes. This will be my
first turbo build. I'm finally stepping away from all motor for a change.

I already have a majority of the engine parts. It will go something like this -

Z6 block (stock)
B7/A6 head (A6 cam) - Turbo cam and head work in future
Y8 HG
Z6 Intake Mani
'91 SI trans
..Still deciding on snail.
Since I already have the HF exhaust mani, I plan on using it to make my
turbo mani.

That puts my compression at roughly 8.81:1.

I'm not looking for crazy HP for my first turbo build. Mainly want to get my
head around the tuning aspects of a boosted engine and what not before I
go higher..so I'm looking in the 200-250 whp range. I know tuning..but I've
always done all motor.

So my questions to my DSO boost brothers are -

Are there any unforeseen headaches to that engine setup? I want to stay
NoTec and the compression seems to be just about right.

Would it be more benificial for any reason to use PM6/A6 pistons for
quench or any other reason?

Should I go any lower with compression? Say, using a B7 head gasket to
bring it down any more? Or will that be ideal with that block / head combo?

And if anyone who's currently active on the forum that has a similar
setup, please PM me so I can pick your brain briefly.

I'm gonna be on a super tight budget over the next year so everything is
gonna need to be DIY until the green starts to flow into my pocket rather
than from my pocket into bills. Will be doing a lot of bartering for parts
and such.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
IMO I would just get a A6 or B7 block also, also some LS rods because 200-250whp is pushing the stock block, but it's up to you. With the stock A6 compression ratio is just about 9:1, which is perfect. Just a heads up on the HF wiring harness the ignitor wire goes to the driver's side while the SI goes to the passenger side (if you use a Si harness).

·
Registered
^^^^
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I have a set of A6 pistons coming my way for the Z6.
Build what you got, you know? I can just toss them in the block.

I may follow your advice on the LS rods. I just need to keep my cost down
to a minimum. The reason I'm doing it this way is financial...but mainly so I
can truly understand tuning a boosted motor. If it's mine, I can do a lot of
experimenting without worrying about it..and if something happens, I didn't
blow a shit-ton of money into it the first time around, you know?

EDIT - I do have access to a shit-ton of B7/B2 blocks...I hoard those fuckers.
But I'd need to beef up the rods as well...that's why I was gonna go with the
Z6.

Love your ZC, BTW.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have a set of A6 pistons coming my way for the Z6.
Build what you got, you know? I can just toss them in the block.

I may follow your advice on the LS rods. I just need to keep my cost down
to a minimum. The reason I'm doing it this way is financial...but mainly so I
can truly understand tuning a boosted motor. If it's mine, I can do a lot of
experimenting without worrying about it..and if something happens, I didn't
blow a shit-ton of money into it the first time around, you know?

EDIT - I do have access to a shit-ton of B7/B2 blocks...I hoard those fuckers.
But I'd need to beef up the rods as well...that's why I was gonna go with the
Z6.

Love your ZC, BTW.
Thanks, yeah whatever you got, build it. LS rods are usually $20-$40 so not that expensive but allow you some breathing room. I also wanna get just a stock (or near stock) engine and play around with the tune until it blows up :bigok:

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Danz built a6 did 10's....although I'm pretty sure he was obd1...

If you have a 1.6 block available use it as the rods are ever so slightly beefier and it has bigger rod journals. My first build was a stock rebuilt d15b7 with an a6 cam, hf mani and a little gt17 off a saab...thing was fun as hell. Light to light driving and twisties were way more fun than my hx setup but nothing beats the feeling when the hx hits....

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I agree....200whp out of a t2 or small t3 is a lot faster than you would think....it'll do 13s in the quarter and is faster than most of what you run across on the streets....

P.s. I'm in Mt. Clemens right now :)

·
Registered
^^^^
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Danz built a6 did 10's....although I'm pretty sure he was obd1...

If you have a 1.6 block available use it as the rods are ever so slightly beefier and it has bigger rod journals. My first build was a stock rebuilt d15b7 with an a6 cam, hf mani and a little gt17 off a saab...thing was fun as hell. Light to light driving and twisties were way more fun than my hx setup but nothing beats the feeling when the hx hits....
Just tune it. I would never push 250WHP on stock rods. Never. 200-210 is about my limit, and if tuned right, the engine will last a long time.
I agree....200whp out of a t2 or small t3 is a lot faster than you would think....it'll do 13s in the quarter and is faster than most of what you run across on the streets....

I have a stock Z6 bottom laying around. I may just throw it in and tune it.
After all, that's the point. Wrapping my head around tuning a boosted engine.
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll keep it in the 200 whp range. It's for learning
and not speed/power this time around anyway, you know?

Plus (and as mentioned), 200 whp is quite a bit...especially in a CRX. Will be
a good learning experience. Then I can build myself an engine setup specifically for
boost in the future and rock it.

Thanks for the input, guys.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
13s?

No. 12s, if you can hook. 200WHP WILL go 12s. I've been tuning a DOHC ZC who got his car dyno tuned to get his ignition timing sorted and has 200WHP and he's running 13.2 with a 2.3s 60'.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You should come out after I move and help me build it, bro. Just for fun. I spend waaaaaay too much time wrenching alone.

13s?

No. 12s, if you can hook. 200WHP WILL go 12s. I've been tuning a DOHC ZC who got his car dyno tuned to get his ignition timing sorted and has 200WHP and he's running 13.2 with a 2.3s 60'.
Right on. I've always wanted to play with a DOHC ZC...but I'm a stubborn SOHC guy,

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
IIRC the B7 HG is a composit gasket. You'd have the same sealing power in boost with that gasket just as if you took a dump on your engine and spread it over the surface with a bondo spreader

MHG or bust!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You should come out after I move and help me build it, bro. Just for fun. I spend waaaaaay too much time wrenching alone.

Right on. I've always wanted to play with a DOHC ZC...but I'm a stubborn SOHC guy,
Word I spend waaaaay to much time alone building my car....mostly because I only let people I know I can trust to my garage or to where I live. That and I never "plan" to work on my car...I just go out when I feel like it

And I live in gr and head over to my clemens to visit the girls family

·
Registered
^^^^
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Word I spend waaaaay to much time alone building my car....mostly because I only let people I know I can trust to my garage or to where I live. That and I never "plan" to work on my car...I just go out when I feel like it

And I live in gr and head over to my clemens to visit the girls family
We'll make a weekend / weekend day of it sometime this spring / summer.
Even if we just sitting around talking shit about cars. Hah! :D

·
Registered
^^^^
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IIRC the B7 HG is a composit gasket. You'd have the same sealing power in boost with that gasket just as if you took a dump on your engine and spread it over the surface with a bondo spreader

MHG or bust!

LOL! Good call!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thanks, yeah whatever you got, build it. LS rods are usually $20-$40 so not that expensive but allow you some breathing room. I also wanna get just a stock (or near stock) engine and play around with the tune until it blows up :bigok:
Unless you got a mad hook up at a machine shop, it's not happening. Just the bushings to resize the big end go for $55, then then have to be honed and installed(cheapest I could find was $140 for all 4), and the ls rods have to have the big end shaved as well. Just buy some damn Eagles and call it good.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts

MHG or bust!
That is complete BS. They are just messier to change, but in no way less capable of sealing.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is complete BS. They are just messier to change, but in no way less capable of sealing.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. the mess....God I hate scraping those things.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
13s?

You just keep giving me more and more hope. I'm gonna make it a personal goal to impress you. I know its stupid but it seems appropriate after all of your comments.

Nasty Canasta, the only thing I can see that "might" slow you down is finding a water pump/tensioner/timing belt combo. I wanted to do that specific build as well. There's almost o available info on it. Only thing I found is people getting stuck at finding the right combo of belts, pumps ect. PLEASE let me know which on works. I'm still very curious.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts