Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
L3 tranny. Rebuilt it recently, went well. Everything spins nice and smooth. Shifts into all gears too, with/without spinning the input shaft.

And then I saw this on my table:

I'm pretty sure it looks like the spring that goes under/over the tiny ball; though I don't remember leaving them out obviously.

Length of the spring is 22.x mm and OD is 5.x mm.

Put my out of my misery and tell me whether this is from the transmission or not.

And just to clarify, this is either from the shift arm shaft or the shift rod, right? Because I only remember ending up with 2 springs and balls when I opened up the tranny.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't even take the shift forks apart. If the spring is from the shift fork and it has a ball too, then I guess I'm up shit creek because I haven't found a ball. Waiting for Bone to reply; I guess the tranny is coming apart anyways. FFS.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Look at this thread rebuilding a z6 might not work the same for you, section 2 4th pic, might be what you feared. My last post was before I found more pics.

DIY: Transmission Rebuild (89pics!)

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,106 Posts
what if its a pen spring? wouldn't that just suck?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,310 Posts
22.4-22.6mm, stiffy spring, is for the shift shaft rod that exits the back of the transmission.

under the bolt the socket is on in this pic....

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just opened the tranny. The spring isn't from the shift arms, either of them. Bone, the one you suggested is a bit thicker than the one I've got in my hand here.

So I guess that just leaves the shift forks? Or could it have come from anywhere else within the tranny?

Edit: The shift fork that goes on the countershaft is moving without any resistance or clicking. Maybe I've found the culprit? I can see detents on the shaft but the fork won't click; it just moves freely.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now this is just fucked. All 3 forks have their balls and springs intact. So after a crash course in driving out spring pins and inserting shafts into holes while holding the balls down, I'm stuck with a spring that seems to have no home.

So this rules out both the shift arms and all the shift forks. Any bright ideas?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
The only one I can find that is near the measurement provided is in this pic. (Spring - L 21.4mm) middle of pic.

It is too the left of the one bone mentioned above.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,106 Posts
if it is, I was totally being sarcastic
like this scene

Janitor: The door is broke. Maybe the fifth time or so. It don’t open.
J.D.: Maybe there’s a penny stuck in there?
Janitor: Why a penny?
J.D.: I don’t know.
Janitor: Did you stick a penny in there?
J.D.: No. I was, I was just making small talk.
Janitor: If I find a penny in there, I’m taking you down

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,310 Posts
As to why there are different spring lengths listed for the shift rod, I"ve never noticed a difference. I do have a parts tray FULL of the various springs that I have salvaged from taking forks and shift assemblies apart.

Used to be one online parts retailer that listed the spring length. The most confusing thing I even did though was having the spring cup (collar) fall out so there was very little side to side resistance.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
That's not an L3 tranny though. I measured the spring out of an L3 I had on the bench awaiting to be cleaned.
I keep doing that, searching for one, still come up with the hydro....sorry if I lead any one astray.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts