Honda D Series Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
But still looks solid enough!
yeah for sure! The rust is isolated not everywhere. And I’m really glad I painted it because it was just rusting in my field with no paint on it. Now it’s good to go. There has never been any rust on the body really other than up by the sunroof and a couple other small spots

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
got a lot done tonight, had sloppy joes for dinner and layered up. 9 degrees out. But I charged up the work light, brought all the tools back from work I needed and got a can of pb blaster like you guys recommended and that really helped. The wind died down too.

axles are cleared. Had to pound the lower ball joint out and they were stubborn. Wanted to get that part done so tomorrow morning I can work on finishing up and pulling the rest of the engine without waking my neighbors in the two units next to me.

Got the transmission cable bracket bolt out I needed a 1/4 ratchet for the other day and brought pick home for those stubborn connectors but I left that easy job for the morning. At this point all I have left is pop the axles out of the transmission, disconnect a few more wires and hook up the hoist and yank the engine out. Oh and disconnect the exhaust.
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive fuel system Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Bumper Gas

Automotive tire Sculpture Motor vehicle Gas Wood

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Metalworking Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Mechanic Bumper Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Your hands look like its 9 degrees! Dedication my man, dedication!
[/QUOTE

its 0 degrees out right now this morning. I'm suiting up as if I'm about to go snowmobiling in massachusetts. long johns, fleeze pj's under my pants and like 10 long sleave shirts under my jacket. But I'm getting super excited I just hope I can get the exhaust bolt out because I cant use my impact. I lost my deep 17 socket. hopefully I can get a wrench on it. Heading out there now wish me luck thank gosh for good coffee and lots of layers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Amost out! Learned what the “B***tch pin” was as it’s the very last thing I have to remove. I couldn’t figure out why the linkage wouldn’t slide out. YouTube’d it and they showed me i have to get that pin out. I tried holding a socket and spraying it down but wouldn’t budge. I’m going to bring a torch home and a pair of vice grips and use them to hold a small socket that I can wail on with the hammer. It’s hard to hold the socket and hit it so the pliers will help.

the engine is out hanging and the mounts are free but one bolt in the tranny broke off. Dang. Add that to the list of sheared off broken bolts.

bracket by intake for a fuel hose
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive wheel system

Got the hood off and hoist assembled!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

popped the axles out
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Machine

cable for tranny speedometer? Idk
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Bumper Tire

cleared wiring/unhooked fuel rail connectors
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Scrap Automotive wheel system

ready for takeoff!
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive fuel system Auto part

fuel hose by intake again
Photograph Motor vehicle White Automotive tire Bicycle part

White Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,232 Posts
if you can't get the bitchpin from the bottom ,
take off the intake mani and try more room ,,support the shift linkage from the bottom with something solid like a jack or bricks..whale away

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I thou
if you can't get the bitchpin from the bottom ,
take off the intake mani and try more room ,,support the shift linkage from the bottom with something solid like a jack or bricks..whale away
I was wondering if it would come out that way or not. I’m going to try the map torch and vice grip method first. I have them now and will try it first thing tomorrow morning. Otherwise I like that idea thank you very much! I didn’t think to use the jack to support it but that is very necessary

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,462 Posts
just use an a/c compressor bolt and knock it out lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Tent

Once I get that pin out of the tranny it will be free, it’s hanging and all mounts are free!
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
just use an a/c compressor bolt and knock it out lol
I have one, is that the right size for that pin?

Speaking from experience, take the exhaust studs out in sequence starting from the outside and work your way in. They're much more likely to strip the stud out of the head if you leave the outside ones until last, and sometimes you'll pull the stud out anyway because they're a SOB.
thanks for the advise! I plan on trying to use the stock Header from the new engine because I was throwing 02 codes with the old header from the last engine and I don’t want to replace the gasket because I’m on a budget.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
938 Posts
Personally I drop engine and trans out through the bottom, with linkage attatched, then pull the bitch pin while it's on the furnitutre dolly, but im a cheater and my stands go up really high, lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Personally I drop engine and trans out through the bottom, with linkage attatched, then pull the bitch pin while it's on the furnitutre dolly, but im a cheater and my stands go up really high, lol.
I’ve got my giant truck stands under there and bent the crap out of the pinch weld trying to Jack it up high enough. I got carried away and put the Jack too far back, lifted both wheels on one side off the ground trying to clear the giabt Jack stand. My regular ones are in mass. I almost could go through the bottom. But I prefer the top and that’s a good idea though I would try that if I had a smooth floor.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,558 Posts
Been swapping out these engines and trannies for 20-25 years now. All it took was one 4G Prelude H23 that I tried to go up and out with, and now they all go out the bottom. So much easier. But, it'll work either way. I use a lift most of the time, but my favorite tool for FWD is the ATV jack that I sit motor and trans down on, then just raise lift and pull them out. It works on jack stands too.

This is the one I use:

Product Font Automotive exterior Line Motor vehicle

BTW, your shift linkage looks a little "furry" in some of those pictures lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Been swapping out these engines and trannies for 20-25 years now. All it took was one 4G Prelude H23 that I tried to go up and out with, and now they all go out the bottom. So much easier. But, it'll work either way. I use a lift most of the time, but my favorite tool for FWD is the ATV jack that I sit motor and trans down on, then just raise lift and pull them out. It works on jack stands too.

This is the one I use:

View attachment 140614

BTW, your shift linkage looks a little "furry" in some of those pictures lol
That’s a pretty cool tool! Thanks for sharing your method and dude, I’m like what fuzz? When I went back up to look I almost died of laughter 😂 it looks like a long forgotten fridge vegetable.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,462 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,025 Posts
I turned down a punch which made it the perfect size to push out the bitch pin. Also the door hinge bolt has a dog head which is the perfect size to get it started, but it does bottom out pretty quick. By that time though usually it's already starting to move and you should be sweet - Good when you're at the wrecker and you've forgotten your special punch.

Hand Water Wood Gesture Grey
Automotive tire Gas Asphalt Fastener Nail

41 - 60 of 64 Posts