Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

After 6 months of searching almost everyday on facebook marketplace I finally located a d16a6! I talked with the seller for two weeks trying to find time to make the three hour trip from ny to mass and make it happen. He was difficult to communicate with because he said he didnt take me seriously because so many people blew him off and took a long time, sometimes a day to respond. But he was nice. So finally I found an opportuninty but in order to make it happen I had to drive at night on icy roads after working all week on friday. After flying down the taconic and hopping on the mass pike/to interstate 91 I finally made it.

the engine was outside in the dark on the ground under a wheel barel. It looked way better than the pictures and he helped me assemble my engine hoist I brought, out in the dark,in 6 inches of snow at 11 pm friday! I told him I was super excited to get my car running and he was thrilled that it was going to good use! After about an hour of chatting and freezing our fingers we managed to get it into the truck and secured. He showed me his garage and he has a nice wago van project he installed a new crv engine in....hence why he was selling me the d16a6. He said the engine ran great and that he drove the car from texas to mass and pulled it to swap. He also sent me a video of it running before he pulled it.

It came with a stock exhaust, a nice looking distributor and albiet a little greasy it looked way better in person than in the one crappy picture he had listed of it.

I honestly believe that the only reason I was able to buy this engine before someone else was because no one knew what it was! Or they didnt like the add. the adds been up for decades. When I first messaged him I was asking him hey is this a d16a6 or what? and the add posting was confusing to me. It should have just said "d16a6 engine with automatic wago van transmission" or something of the like. I actually ignored the add several times because of the bad pic and the confusing title. untill I got bored one day after not finding a single other d16a6 and began looking into this add. I almost ignored/missed it! There were 10 other d series varients such as d16z6's or d16a'swhich would have worked but werent any d16a6's.

The sale price....the guy was super helpful and friendly and ended up helping me load it and selling me the engine and tranny for $300! he took off $50 without me even asking because my girlfriend and I are about to have a baby so he was trying to help me which I am very appreciative of! He said I can sell the tranny and that he didnt have time to. Also I scored a working ac compressor!!! something I planned on buying along with the rest of the ac system thats been ripped out of my crx by prior owners.

here's the pics along with the add posting! Can't wait to slap this thing in! I'll post better pics when it gets cleaned after it warms up a bit outside.

He recommended I should change the timing belt and I'll probably do a new set of plugs too. maybe some oil seals.

seller said this engine has 130,000. same as my old one which isnt too bad!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Product Automotive tire Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Auto part Automotive super charger part

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Photograph Light Product Font Screenshot

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,978 Posts
Dude, you are very happy about getting this engine haha.

Congrats!

Is there something special about the D16A6 in particular that you like?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude, you are very happy about getting this engine haha.

Congrats!

Is there something special about the D16A6 in particular that you like?
Doesn’t take much to make me happy. Haha and yeah I don’t have the money to build an ls vtec yet so I wanted a d16a6 for simplicity. I have no idea how to make any of the other d series engines work. I’m not good with wiring so I can drop this one right in and send it.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,978 Posts
can drop this one right in and send it.
That is happiness right there :)

Make sure you also do any maintenance items as well before you install it, i.e. timing belt, water pump, spark plugs/wires/cap/rotor, new fuel filter, etc. maybe even a new valve cover gasket, stuff like that. Things that are always good to refresh during any engine swap/rebuild.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Make sure you also do any maintenance items as well before you install it, i.e. timing belt, water pump, spark plugs/wires/cap/rotor, new fuel filter, etc. maybe even a new valve cover gasket, stuff like that. Things that are always good to refresh during any engine swap/rebuild.
was going to ask you guys if there’s anythingelse I should do,ok thank you. That’s a good idea for sure.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,558 Posts

Gonna put my vote in for installing a new rear main seal while you've got it out. Super easy to do while the engine is out. I think you can still get them from Honda for like $15-20. Maybe a little more, but well worth it and won't have to hassle with it later.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gonna put my vote in for installing a new rear main seal while you've got it out. Super easy to do while the engine is out. I think you can still get them from Honda for like $15-20. Maybe a little more, but well worth it and won't have to hassle with it later.
yeah funny story about that, my girlfriends grandparents house I drove this car to once and leaked oil all over the driveway. Or maybe it was my 97 corolla, but iether way they weren't impressed and I felt bad since they have a perfect driveway. So im a big advacit for fixing oil leaks haha. I'll throw some gaskets and seals in there while its flying around up in the air or in my truck bed. 🤘

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,798 Posts
You were about 15-20 miles east from customers of mine in Masshole. Wagon Wheel in Gill MA. Another customer is off the TSP in NYS.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,463 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
status update. clutch alignment tool has been ordered off ebay and I have a list of parts im searching for including
timing belt
tensioner
I have a brand new water pump i'll switch over from old engine.
rear main seal.
cam seal
spark plugs
wires

ill inspect clutch, throw out bearing and the other bearing apon transfer.

am I missing anything?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,978 Posts
Front/oil pump seal?

Oil pan and valve cover gaskets?

What do they charge for a clutch alignment tool? As a tech, I forget this is something people might need to buy at some point lol. They usually come with all decent clutch kits, so I've got a cardboard box I used to keep next to my toolbox to throw all the alignment tools in when I finished a job. There are probably at least 300 honda specific alignment tools in it from over the years lol

I would have gifted you this box haha

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thermostat, spend the extra 22 bucks on a genuine Honda one, or replace every spring
Thermostat, spend the extra 22 bucks on a genuine Honda one, or replace every spring
Oh yeah I forgot I have a brand new oem one for my old engine that is a genuine Honda one. Good call! I ordered that one off bkhondaparts years ago and barely drove it much so it’s still good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Front/oil pump seal?

Oil pan and valve cover gaskets?

What do they charge for a clutch alignment tool? As a tech, I forget this is something people might need to buy at some point lol. They usually come with all decent clutch kits, so I've got a cardboard box I used to keep next to my toolbox to throw all the alignment tools in when I finished a job. There are probably at least 300 honda specific alignment tools in it from over the years lol

I would have gifted you this box haha
12 on eBay. And I’m a tech too but at a body shop now. I think I have one at home in mass but I can’t go back I’m on call because my girls prego haha. So I just ordered one no big deal. Wish i could afford a new clutch but the old one was fine I’ll check bearings and add those gaskets to the list that’s a good idea thanks!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts