Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Tundra
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building my D16Z6 to make roughly 300 to 350 hp. One of the things I am installing is supertech springs and retainers. Is it worth while to install forged valves with them if I am running the stock valve size? Do you think larger valves are needed to hit the 350 mark? This will be a street car on pump gas. What do you all think???

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
No.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
The stock head can make about 400hp but any upgrades you want to do will make your goal easier to reach.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
On 98% of the D-series heads out there oversized valves are not an added benefit. Stock valves will tend to bend if contact is made, while forged will just break off. Other than some of the fordged ones coming with a nitrate coating, that's about all the advantages. I've not heard of anyone weighing the difference.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Tundra
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Everyone,

Thank you for the info! I did not realize that the stock head could make up to 400 hp. It only makes sense as that appears to be the cut off for the block too. I was thinking about supertech springs and retainers, but maybe I should rethink that thought??? Should I pass on them and focus on other things?

·
Registered
90 civic si
1,536 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Thank you for the info! I did not realize that the stock head could make up to 400 hp. It only makes sense as that appears to be the cut off for the block too. I was thinking about supertech springs and retainers, but maybe I should rethink that thought??? Should I pass on them and focus on other things?
any head work will make your goal of 350 whp easier so id recommend upgrading the head parts just to make it easier

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
go for springs/retainers, this will help you to keep everything together revving high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts