Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honda discontinued all oversized pistons for D16Z6.. (a lot of sites say they sell them but honda recently discontinued them... trust me I bent over backwards trying to get them)

I am thinking of going with some arias forged pistons (75.5mm) instead because I want high quality that is at least as good as OEM.

I called a supplier and they told me Arias pistons will fit on stock rods... Is that true?

I want ~7psi eventually and I have read stock rods can handle that so I was thinking just spending the extra $150 and doing forged pistons/stock rods.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Just go forged rods and pistons. If not, find some LS rods and PM6 pistons through a reputable supplier on eBay, have the LS rods machined to fit and you should be good for ~250whp depending on your tuner. Forged pistons won't fit stock rods anywho, they've got a different style of wrist pin I think, plus the rods are the weak point not the pistons.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Putting forged pistons on stock rods is a bad idea because:

More time, effort, and cost to make it work. (rod small end has to be bored to be a full floater)
The more you fuck with an engine, the more potential problems may arise.
The rods are worthless past 200whp and if you're building a motor with plans to boost it you will want reliability. And most likely more power down the road. Future proof it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Putting forged pistons on stock rods is a bad idea because:

More time, effort, and cost to make it work. (rod small end has to be bored to be a full floater)
The more you fuck with an engine, the more potential problems may arise.
The rods are worthless past 200whp and if you're building a motor with plans to boost it you will want reliability. And most likely more power down the road. Future proof it.
Very good point

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Ok, 7psi isn't a great description of how much power you're gonna make but I'm going to assume you mean on a smallish turbo. You should be fine on stock internals, but forged guts will increase your room for error...plus, we ALL know that 7psi is never enough lol, if you have to ability you'll want to turn it up. Case in point, I tuned a turbo 8th gen the other day, and he made decent power on a Greddy kit on 7.5psi, but now he wants more and is out of injector lol. All he wanted was the bolt-on setup, til he felt it.

IF you're only ever going to want 7psi, a stock rebuild will be fine. If it's a full Z6, I'd toss some PM6 (D16A6) pistons in whatever oversize you get and let it ride; this will bump CR to ~10:1. Find a good tuner that won't get too aggressive and don't turn it to the moon, and it should last for a long time. If you go that route, I suggest ARP rod bolts and head studs. There's debate on rehoning the big end after installing the rod bolts, I've done both ways without any issue. I assembled two D's without rehoning and both have seen a ton of abuse (My A6/Z6, turning to 8K for 5-6 years and a JRSC'd D15B on 9psi), but on my B18C1 I did have them re-honed.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's a full Z6, I'd toss some PM6 (D16A6) pistons in whatever oversize you get and let it ride; this will bump CR to ~10:1.
The only thing I see as a problem with that is I think Honda discontinued the oversized pistons I would need and I want brand new (OEM or better quality) pistons and rings

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I just had a bright idea!... how about this... I could just buy some oversized y8 pistons from Honda and stick them on my z6 rods.... Seems like it might mess things up but I am not sure....

i am thinking of staying with low reliable boost ~7psi So I won't have to upgrade to forged internals

I am moving to this to a new thread

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Why even mess with the rods or pistons? I boosted my stock y5 for a year and a half and over 30,000 miles with not one problem, I was running 8psi on a t3 60 trim .42/.48ar at 166hp, I could have had more but I didnt have a way to increase boost while at the dyno.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why even mess with the rods or pistons? I boosted my stock y5 for a year and a half and over 30,000 miles with not one problem, I was running 8psi on a t3 60 trim .42/.48ar at 166hp, I could have had more but I didnt have a way to increase boost while at the dyno.
It's because honda discontinued Z6 oversized pistons. And I want new pistons for a oversized bore

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
Why even get new pistons though? My car had 178,000 on it when I first boosted it and when I got rearended it had close to 210,000, I didnt pull the head and install arp studs, I didnt install a fuel pump either.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I'm assuming he's rebuilding one thats blown?

If it's a runner and you only want to make like 170whp, don't screw with it! Honda did a better job putting it together than any of us will. :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
^That could work, but check the compression calculator is see what your static compression will be with them.
heres what i got for compression if I have the block decked 0.02"
Should it be ok without a tune or anything?

This is calculation is for Everything Z6 except Y8 Pistons (because Z6 pistons are discontinued from Honda)

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
that gasket thickness (I know, its what zeal says) is wrong.

use .0028" for a 3 layer MLS gasket.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts