Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, i'm thinking of buying this kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D16-Civic-CRX-Si-Turbo-Engine-Kit-Pistons-Rods-Gasket_W0QQitemZ160203722017QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160203722017

I'l rebore my engine to a 0.5mm oversize.

Do you think my bearings will be ok with standard size as in the auction?

Obviously i'l plastigauge it when i build it.

But i'm just wondering if i should get a different size. Or if its not "knocking" at the moment it will be ok. 142k mile engine.

Then i'm going to get ARP head stud's, should i get mains as well?

And is it worth getting better pistons?

Not looking to go crazy fast, it's just my daily driver. Whats the piston to bore clearance needed on the YCPs/vitara's.

Some of the question won't get definate answer's i'm just looking for a guideline and how other people got on.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Right, i'm thinking of buying this kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D16-Civic-CRX-Si-Turbo-Engine-Kit-Pistons-Rods-Gasket_W0QQitemZ160203722017QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160203722017 if you look in the affiliates section, fjt has some kits that you could buy

I'l rebore my engine to a 0.5mm oversize.

Do you think my bearings will be ok with standard size as in the auction? the auction lists race bearings. which are thicker then "normal" ones.

Obviously i'l plastigauge it when i build it.

But i'm just wondering if i should get a different size. Or if its not "knocking" at the moment it will be ok. 142k mile engine. if tear the engine down, you will have to replace the bearings.

Then i'm going to get ARP head stud's, should i get mains as well? d-series engines don't have mains available. you could get some made from arp.

And is it worth getting better pistons? the pistons are good

Not looking to go crazy fast, it's just my daily driver. Whats the piston to bore clearance needed on the YCPs/vitara's. go to: http://www.theoldone.com/articles/engine_tips/piston_data_sheet.html iirc, this is the specs i followed on my last build. either this one or the one on srp's web site. but they should still be very close to the same clearance.
i would look at fjt's site and what he has listed on here for a good deal on parts.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
You might want to get the over bore 75.5mm vitara piston instead since you are boring your block. That ebay link is for the standard 75mm bore only. But like 99EJ6T stated, give FJT a pm'd or visit his site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would recommand oversized piston
i rebuild 5 d series motor for boost and for some odd reason every single one i rebuild needed to be bore and hone...do note these motors has 100k plus miles.

those bearing are fine i used them again check your clearance

arp head stud i would recommand
hope that helps

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to get the over bore 75.5mm vitara piston instead since you are boring your block. That ebay link is for the standard 75mm bore only. But like 99EJ6T stated, give FJT a pm'd or visit his site.
Sorry yes i was going to do this.

But obviously i as going to go for 75.5mm plus a clearance of 3 thou, not sure how much clearance and what ring gaps to use.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would look at fjt's site and what he has listed on here for a good deal on parts.
Thanks for that i will do this.

How much thicker are the race bearings i.e. how much will i have to get my crank machined.

I didn't mean leave the standard in there sorry for the confusion, i jsut meant standard sized.

Dam about the mains, what does everybody use then? Just normal studs from the dealer? I guess there ok anyway?

Awesome thanks for that piston to bore and ring gap info.

Is that for these pistons though? As they will expand at different rates surely?

Many thanks for all your help :) Is there anything else i should add to my list? I've got a timing belt, water pump etc already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts