Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some of you experienced turbo guys to give your opinion on some of the old Ford turbos.

I have a D15B7 that I am going to turbo. I have ordered the FJ kit with custom length forged rods and vitaria pistons. I also have a Y8 head for it and I was going to mill the head to try and achieve a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio. I am going to manage fuel with a chipped P06 ECU.

I currently have a T3 from a FORD T-Bird 85-86 2.3L (Manual) GAR (AiR) TB03 60 trim (watercooled)

My goal is to have a fun daily driver with good response. I do not want to be in boost all the time as it is my daily car and could not pay for all the gas, but I want it to jump when I get on it. It will only go to the track once and a while maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

I have an option of getting this turbo as well (FORD T-Bird 87-88 (water) IHI RHB52) and wondered which turbo you guys thought would fit my goals best?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Go with the T3 60 trim. The IHI is a good turbo but is hard to service and the T3 parts are very common. It is a good turbo and is a solid daily performer.

A lot of people think they will be constantly in boost while driving but it has nothing to do with RPM. It has to do with load. At cruising speeds you will a lil boost but not like you are thinking. Once you mash the gas though it will come too life though.

Its funny how they work.

Go T3 and I promise you will not regret it. Oh and it will also support more hp.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have the T3 60 trim .60/.63ar from a Thunderbird. It's a little laggy but makes pretty good power. I made 235whp at 8psi on a bone stock Y8 with a ebay cast manifold and 2.5" exhaust

Full boost in 3rd around 4.5k rpms. Have fun finding adapters for the intake/compressor housing, I ended up having a machine shop make them for me. Didn't want to pay $50 or whatever for the ATP ones

And do run the coolant lines because it's a water cooled turbo. I'm hoping to make 300whp with this turbo on my built motor, we'll see about that

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
every thing I have read and researched have told me the same thing. So i guess I will go with the T3 and keep searching for a .48 AR turbine hsg.

·
Registered
764 Posts
every thing I have read and researched have told me the same thing. So i guess I will go with the T3 and keep searching for a .48 AR turbine hsg.
The .48 will aid in spool but will limit overall flow. It will dampen the overall output of the unit. You will have to decide if you want horsepower or response. Personally I would try the .63 first and then see if it does not suit your wants before going with the .48.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had a TB03 on my very old d15b7 and it worked great. Spool started very quick. If I remember mine was not rebuildable, at least without a good professional balance. Then I had some fun wiring the wastegate shut, it pulled like a freight train for about 5 runs then the headgasket gave way and the block/head turned itself into rotini.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts