Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it goin everyone? I've had a ford probe intercooler laying around for quite a while and have been tossing up the idea with running it instead of my johnny race car fmi. The car it will be going on is a del sol with a Z6 and a garrett t3 pushing in the 200whp(8-10psi) range. I understand that the fmi will be more efficient. However, considering the fact that the del sol only has one grill/opening for air to feed the radiator and intercooler, i like the idea of mounting the probe intercooler where the a/c would normally be. That way, both the intercooler and radiator would not block each other would have their own space for air to be "fed" through them.

The probe intercooler does have fairly small inlet/outlets and was wondering if how critical would it be for me to get them enlarged to something like 2" in. and 2.5" out. Or would i be okay with running pipes in those sizes mentioned bottlenecked to couplers that would fit the IC?

Also, i have been reading that ppl recommend to modify the end tanks
somehow because the inlets/outlets aren't efficient due to the direction in which they "point." can anyone elaborate on this subject as well?

Thanks, and all feedback would be appreciated!

·
Registered
92 hatchback
1,517 Posts
Most people right now, will tell you to ditch it and get a ebay front mount. (by the way, I haven't heard the name Johnny Racecar in years. lol) The Probe intercooler with the bottle necks you are talking about will be minimal. You can run 2 inch intercooler piping and still meet your goal. Would the intercooler and piping be ideal? No. But I would run it, but i also ran a rx7 topmount as a fmic in 2001.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply slowturbocx. I'm one of those ppl that believe in the ebay FMI's as well but JRC was supposedly the shit back in the days for the price and i got a pretty good deal on it(back in the days) as well. Sadly, this is how long i've been trying to boost my car lol. Anyway, i figured runnin the probe IC would be...okay, at best but i needed to make sure that it wasnt goin to be sub-par for how i was ganna run it. I also liked the fact that it wouldnt be nearly as noticeable as a FMIC. I know there's always SMIC's but...fuck that lol.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
if i had the probe intercooler sitting around and i was shooting for your power goals i would completly use it. yeah the charge piping wont be the nicest looking thing in the world, but its a free intercooler lol. it will cool more than enough for your set up... hell it might even cool better than some of the ebay fmic's lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
I plan on using a VW 1.8 T side mount when I do my setup sometime this year. I'm super pumped!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i had the probe intercooler sitting around and i was shooting for your power goals i would completly use it. yeah the charge piping wont be the nicest looking thing in the world, but its a free intercooler lol. it will cool more than enough for your set up... hell it might even cool better than some of the ebay fmic's lol
That's EXACTLY what i was thinkin. If folks can get away with side mounts tucked in the wheel well, there couldn't be any way the probe IC wouldn't be able to handle my power goals. I think that with a lil creativety, the charge piping should look just fine. I'm planning on painting all of them black anyway w/ the same stuff i'll be painting the valve cover with. I'm shootin to make the whole setup look as stock as possible. I'm even ganna try and run the factory HF mani heat shield on the manifold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts