Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That was my initial though when I started rebuilding my d15b7, and I firmly believe its possible but its also pretty hard to get good information about tuning/modifications to increase MPG, I guess the majority of people just want their cars to be loud and fast. But to me, its an economy engine, and I feel like I should stick to the purpose it was designed for.

I'd be very pleased if anyone at all would help me in my quest, any advice would be appreciated. I'm open to vehicle modification also, I'm entertaining the idea of building a skid plate thing to reduce air resistance under the vehicle. I'm also entertaining the idea of turning my car into a golf ball but that's seriously out there and plastics experts aren't very interested in helping me cover the car in dimples.

Mostly I guess I want to know what sort of engine work I could do to make the engine more efficient, short of replacing it with that amazing vtec-e technology.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just read some of your threads, you still have yours? It was sort of open ended what MPG you got after tuning it properly. Thats what I'm interested in, much moreso than power. Sucks trying to figure out what helps MPG the most when almost everyone thinks about speed first.

Since you seem to be an expert on this, what I was thinking (before honda-tech started fucking with me) was the z6 intake and exhaust manifolds (maybe a header instead) clean up the ports and enlarge them to fit the bigger manis, and get my spare d15b7 ecu chipped and try my hand at tuning. I kno the d15beast7 usually entails using the a6 camshaft but I figure the economy cam of the d15b7 better suits my purposes.

Thanks in advance, your thread has good info in it

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm so fuckin' confused. I see these people who port their engines, use bigger intake manifolds and exhaust systems, and what I'm guessing is a more aggressive cam shaft.

And they get increased MPG. Meanwhile, other people who are supposedly well versed swear thats "gonna reduce velocity and thus reduce MPG". Which leaves me thinking that the only thing which helps is a tune, and that those mods hurt the potential.

What is the truth in all of this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts