Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how you drive your car? Also how it takes the abuse? Im doing my build right now and im not gonna beat on it everyday, but i would like to have some fun with it...i mean were not boosted for nothing right?? :) I know my Gsr took the beating good and loved every minute of it.

This is my DD also so id only play with it every so often.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about provided your engine is put together right and with quality parts. Vits have been proven time and time again, from full race setups to dd status they work fine.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about provided your engine is put together right and with quality parts. Vits have been proven time and time again, from full race setups to dd status they work fine.
exactly! i dd'd mine for a year put 25k on it at 300whp. took it to the track. now its getting another setup but on the same bottom end.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
they are basically stronger lower compression OEM pistons.

it all boils down to the build quality, the parts (vitaras) arent unreliable in any way at most power levels.

i drive my car EVERYDAY, 45 miles, over half the time thats at 3700rpm on the interstate, the rest of the time its almost constantly in boost. they were fine until i blew the head gasket and lost ring tension.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with cast pistons. Actually, theyre way better for a DD because they dont beat the cylinders to death when theyre cold. You just cant detonate on them for quite as long as a forged piston.

Thats all it comes down to. If youre not pushing the limit with tuning, there is zero difference. When youre detonating youre engine turns into a bomb, with forged pistons the fuse is longer.
If you can listen for detonation and let out as soon as you hear it and you should never melt or crack any piston.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
I had mine for 3 years and DD it running at 20 psi, and its ran 26 psi for at least 6 months (405 hp).
It ran like a top right up to the day that I sold it.
Its comes down to 2 things.
1. build quality
2. tuning

·
Registered
233 Posts
yeah I can attest to the fact if put together right they do fine.
Like boostedsohc said, his has lasted 25k miles and now is on a course for 450-500whp.
Granted he's gone through 3 egay turbos haha. He also drives like a grandma though.

Our other buddy's went 10-12k miles before it spun a bearing, and he has a daily driver and only ever brought it out to race or beat on it so those were all very hard miles. The reason for the spun bearing was his oilpump/dent in oilpan and possibly his crank pulley.
Our friend's talon's original build was done back in like 1999 and only spun a bearing this last winter and it had the CRAP beat out of it.

It's true with any boosted car, build it and tune it right and it'll last forever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts