Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that you have to modified the botton of the block in order to use after market rods like the eagle rods tunner toys ect. My question is, Can I do this myself? I told the Machine shop to do it for me and they told me that they have to put the crank with the bearings and then connect the rod in order for them to know. All this is fine, but I have the feeling they are gonna charge an arm and leg since they have to "put the engine together". Can I do this myself, with a rotary grider perhaps? I just want to save money and use it for whatever else I need to finish the project. Thank you guys before hand.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
I used a dremel and it was a lot of work. Get a small grinder wheel instead. after I did all the work the machine shop said they would have done it for 50 bucks...

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I used a dremel and it was a lot of work. Get a small grinder wheel instead. after I did all the work the machine shop said they would have done it for 50 bucks...
i actually used a pneumatic grinder with a carbide bit. didnt take more than about 20 minutes

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats why I want to do it myself, $50 dollars for that I think is a lot of money, my opinion. Now to think of it, my brother in law did it on his d16, im gonna asking tommorow. I better of go tomorow and tell the machine shop not to do it.
Thank you guys.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmm............... :shocked: SHIT!

I didnt even see your link. my bad. I was wondering why noone posted a link to theoldone write up, because it is referenced to so damn much. turns out you posted the link.

i feel like a dumbass.................. as bill engval would say "heres your sign"!!!

my bad man

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
If you think 50 bucks is alot for that sort of work....

STEP AWAY FROM THE HONDA!!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts

lol, no shit. only reason i did mine is because i barely took any material out anyways. when i checked it, it looked to me like the i-beams would clear witout any notching, but i took some out anyways jsut to be safe

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I already send my engine to the machine shop, it cost less to do the honing and to clean the engine. I belived is cost me 80 for the bore not sure if it include the honing. don't mind paying the $80 for that. Is just the way the guy at the machine shop sounded when I told him about notching the botton of the block. He was like well we have to install the crank, then take it out, then this, then that and I have a feelling that they are going to charge me for everthing. Another thing, when I send my block I send it with the long black tube on the side that has to do with the oil. I send it in order to get clean since it has another part atach to it that is made out of aluminum, he was like, I have to charge you extra for that. I was like dude, thats hold on by two bolts besides thats part of the engine and i want them clean. Another part that I send together with the engine was the parts that holds the crankshaft to the block. I send that one so that it would get clean as well. He was like well I'm gonna have to charge you for that. Again I was like thats part of the block and I also want it clean, beside you gonna need it when you install the eagle rods. Thats the reason Im asking prices. One machine shop took my brother to court because my brother didn't want to pay. my brother took the engine to get clean they ended up doing a bunch of stuff that my brother didn't ask, ended up in court and my brother ended up paying for the shit.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Step 1. get your block back and find another shop
step 2. get everything to be done on paper first! I have heard so many stories where machine shops go that extra mile because "you needed it done" and then try to collect later. I don't know how people think they can get away with shit like that. I mean could you imagine if I did the same?

Biz: "That will be $2500 please"

Customer: " But all you guys did was put in my radio"

Biz: "yeah but your speakers were blown too so we decided to replace them. they sounded so great we thought maybe a bass amp and a good subwoofer would really set them off. After that we figured you would need an alarm because who wants their brand new stereo stolen. We noticed your old speakers in the rear deck were badly sun damaged and dry-rotted so we went ahead and tinted your windows too. Thanks and have a GREAT day!"

·
Registered
335 Posts
Step 1. get your block back and find another shop
step 2. get everything to be done on paper first! I have heard so many stories where machine shops go that extra mile because "you needed it done" and then try to collect later. I don't know how people think they can get away with shit like that. I mean could you imagine if I did the same?

Biz: "That will be $2500 please"

Customer: " But all you guys did was put in my radio"

Biz: "yeah but your speakers were blown too so we decided to replace them. they sounded so great we thought maybe a bass amp and a good subwoofer would really set them off. After that we figured you would need an alarm because who wants their brand new stereo stolen. We noticed your old speakers in the rear deck were badly sun damaged and dry-rotted so we went ahead and tinted your windows too. Thanks and have a GREAT day!"

LMFAO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts