Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I think I am going to forget about turbo'n my y7 and do a swap. I want either a B16B or B18C, but, how easy are those to swap? Is it pull-n-plug? And on a SN: There are two GSRs in a salvage yard around here. I believe those are either a B17A1 or USDM B18C1... would either of those be good candidates for a swap? My goal now is to have 200 hp N/A, and boost from there.

I'm doing a lot of research on engines and stuff like that, and I'm sure a Type R Engine would be hard to come by. What do you guys think? There is a person here locally selling his "JDM" B18C for $1750... decent price? I'm in no hurry to slap an engine in my car just yet. I want to get an engine and really dig into it, learn the inner workings, and give it a full detail (polished, honed, replace gaskets n bolts, crank/camshaft, pistons/rods, the whole 9). I want to BUILD you guys!! I'm really excited I am deciding to do this. This would be by far the most intense goal I've ever set for myself.

All the assholes on honda-tech give me bs answers like "if you have to ask how easy it is, then it won't be easy for you"... seriously? I just want to know what I'm getting into. I plan on utilizing help and finding a good tuning/engine shop. I just want overall difficulty. Thanks!

·
Registered
a civic
24 Posts
Man this has been covered ALOT. Look and other builds and compare them to what you want to do. If you want to learn how to build an engine buy a haynes or chiltons or the like.

Also where you at?You found a full B17?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
First of all, SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND, second, How dare you talk about replacing the D for a B engine? Anyway if you decide already thats what you want, I will get the cheapest and easy engine to get specially if you said that later on you are gonna turbo charge it.
I would said that a whole B16 swap is the way to go for you, they are more B16 (vtec) engines out there than any of their more expensive siblings (b17,b18 vtec). Another good idea would be to just get a LS engine and later just swap a B-series vtec head on it, this is more comon than buying an expensive swap and it can be more flexible depending whch way you decide to go, turbo or n/a.

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
You do realize that people can be a member on multiple sites right? Reguardless you just need to slow your roll and do more homework. Nobody can tell you "what to build and how to build it", that will be left for you to figure out. And nobody can tell ya what a "good price" on something is over the interweb w/o knowing and seeing more details about it, even after that it's up to you and your area or availability to determine what's a "good" price.

whatever, good luck :dots:

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
Also where you at?You found a full B17?
i would bet north america, canada or the states. they are sweet motors my buddy had a 92 gsr it came with one. he has skunk 2 stage 2 tunners in it. lol man the xover was like a trumpet in full blast(lol the only thing i could think of when i heard it) it was like a bark type sound

but if you have to ask then your not ready, like every one said.
also there is 100000's of write ups on swapping b motors in civics but this is probably not the site for that since its dseries.org.

go to google and type in "parts needed to swap a b16a into a eg" change eg to what ever type of civic you have. it works i just tried it

i say put an h22 in your car it will be faster then any b motor stock and it wil be cheaper(well it is around here) and you already will have your 200 whp if you add some bolt ons and type s cams. then turbo from there. a stock 200whp motor, just change the rods and put new bearings in it when you have it apart

·
Registered
honda civic ej2
29 Posts
b18c or c1 would be the easiest to get 200hp n/a b16 and b17 are hard to get power with out forced induction compared to a b18c with the same mods. I advise against ls/vtec because of reliability issue when daily driven.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
First of all, SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND, second, How dare you talk about replacing the D for a B engine? Anyway if you decide already thats what you want, I will get the cheapest and easy engine to get specially if you said that later on you are gonna turbo charge it.
I would said that a whole B16 swap is the way to go for you, they are more B16 (vtec) engines out there than any of their more expensive siblings (b17,b18 vtec). Another good idea would be to just get a LS engine and later just swap a B-series vtec head on it, this is more comon than buying an expensive swap and it can be more flexible depending whch way you decide to go, turbo or n/a.
Actually there are way less B16's on the road considering Honda only offered them for 2 years in the SIR (SI if your in the U.S) and since they made the OBD-2 B18C from 1994 to 2001......well you can do the math a'lot more B18C's out there then B16's. And the B17 OBD-1 is nothing to special it won't even beat a B16 srtock to stock.
i say put an h22 in your car it will be faster then any b motor stock and it wil be cheaper(well it is around here) and you already will have your 200 whp if you add some bolt ons and type s cams. then turbo from there. a stock 200whp motor, just change the rods and put new bearings in it when you have it apart
Sure its cheaper to get a H22 because nobody wants them?
They have weak cylinder walls and you do realize theres a'lot of extra "fab" work that goes into installing one of these in a Civic?

And once you put a H22 in a Civic your kinda of stuck with it, since you have to hack up so much shit to get it in, which when your done paying for all the extra parts works out to cost more then a B-Swap.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Actually there are way less B16's on the road considering Honda only offered them for 2 years in the SIR (SI if your in the U.S) and since they made the B18C from 1994 to 2001......well you can do the math a'lot more B18C's out there then B16's. And the B17 OBD-1 is nothing to special it won't even beat a B16 srtock to stock.

Sure its cheaper to get a H22 because nobody wants them?
They have weak cylinder walls and you do realize theres a'lot of extra "fab" work that goes into installing one of these in a Civic?

And once you put a H22 in a Civic your kinda of stuck with it, since you have to hack up so much shit to get it in, which when your done paying for all the extra parts works out to cost more then a B-Swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.