Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my buddy was the proud owner of an '89 EF sedan for grand total of six days. On day four of owning it -after replacing the coolant sensor on the head and the main relay, the head gasket blew so he washed his hands of it. Too bad really. It had a D15B2 with a Y7 head swapped on to it. Still had the DPFI IM and what not, but it had potential. Since he was just going to get the whole car hauled off for scrap, I asked him to let pull a couple things of it to see if I couldn't help him recruit his losses. There will be a FS thread with a lot of stuff in it later once I get everything cleaned up.

We pulled the running gear out of it on Sunday, I brought it home and hung it in my garage and let it sit for 24 hours before my fingers got to itchin'.

So I played around with that D15 tonight. I was really curious as to why it let go on the head gasket. Best way to find out was to start pulling bits off it.

Pulled the coolant plug off the front of the block and there was all this crap in the back of the plug.

Blech. I thought the worst because there were largish metallic chunks in it, but then I remembered the previous owner broke his timing belt so he swapped the Y7 head on to it.

Moving along, I pulled off the valve cover. But this was after pulling off the tranny, clutch, FW, crank pulley, water pump, accessory brackets, all the sensors and anything else that was not cast into the block. Surprisingly (to me) the D15 crank pulley is not provisioned for the Honda crank pulley tool or any other such tool. I had to have Mindy wedge a pry bar against the flywheel while I got on the crank pulley bolt with my breaker bar. Anywho, here's what I found on the backside of the VC.

Yikes. Funny thing is that the rocker assembly showed zero signs of this. Must have just been condensation from Big D trying to drive it on 3 cylinders after the HG let go.

Well, I pulled the head off and saw that she let go around cylinder #1.

The combustion chamber on the head confirms this too.

OK. No big deal. Nothing grievously wrong so far. All the pistons look fine, no scoring on the walls of the block. Time to look downstairs. Over we go and off comes the pan.

Lovely patina.

Oil pump.........................off!

Again nothing untoward down here. Looks like a Honda motor with 240000 miles on it. Lots of oil varnish but nothing broken. Time to check out the bearings.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The main bearings are all fine, almost minty.

This is a little bit of a fast forward, but I wanted to show the other side of the main bearings too. Thrust washers look fine as well.

OK. Everything so far is testament to Honda engineering and main girdles. Good stuff. The rod bearings were a little flaky, but nothing too awful.

That's that for the D15. And for those of you who were wondering if a D17 head will fit on a D15 block.......it will! Yes I know this has been covered before, but I still like to see it with my own two eyes.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But the front two oil return ports will leak like crazy down the front of your block. Everything else lines up. I would imagine there are some creative ways to get around this problem, I just wonder if it's worth it. Here's what I'm talking about.

And couple shots I thought were funny. The D15 crank next to my 383 crank. I think someone has lobe envy.....

And a shot with the SBC 400 rods.

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
yep that d15 crank pulley bolt can be a bitch. Doing them while the motor is still in the car is fun.

yummy looking milkshake you got there, need a spoon ?

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
lol at that 383 crank comparison.. and :bigok: on finding a good motor.. too bad i won't be needing anything off of it..

edit: for future reference.. a georgia hot wrench will take the crank bolt off no problem..

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep that d15 crank pulley bolt can be a bitch. Doing them while the motor is still in the car is fun.

yummy looking milkshake you got there, need a spoon ?
Luckily it didn't fight that hard. Between momma foos fussing about holding the pry bar - kept slipping off - and me standing on the motor while pulling on the breaker bar, I would have put up with about five minutes of farting around with it before pulling out the acetylene torch and cutting the pulley off. I think the motor knew this and gave up without much of a fight.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol at that 383 crank comparison.. and :bigok: on finding a good motor.. too bad i won't be needing anything off of it..

edit: for future reference.. a georgia hot wrench will take the crank bolt off no problem..

LOL - Georgia hot wrench. That was going to be my next step! Yeah, we'll see if anyone needs anything. The only things I am keeping are the oil pan and empty block. I want to start making some downpipes for the D17 crowd since they don't get any love.

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
foos if that is a non P/S and A/C driver side motor mount I call dibs on the little "L" brace thingy that bolts to the block and mount.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
looks rebuild-able to me just need some cookies for that milkshake lol. d15b2's are so cheap he shouldn't give up just yet but if he does im down for the y7 head.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He already gave up. Plus my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. That's right, it's better than yours. I can teach you, but I'd have to charge.

PM me a price on the head and it's yours. I was going to get it flycut for straightness, dip it and do a valve job on it (and incorporate that into the asking price) but if you want it now, I'm cool with that.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,976 Posts
b2's are EVERYWHERE at the local you pull its. I wish I had money to rebuild them and sell them or boost them

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
b2's are EVERYWHERE at the local you pull its. I wish I had money to rebuild them and sell them or boost them
Agreed, I'm pulling my d15b2 soon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts