Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read that autometer gage are crappy if you don't run wideband... anything else to tune it with FMU ?

When you go FI, you need to run wideband at least one time for tuning ?

well, can I tune my car with narrowband O2 sensor or I MUST use wideband to tune it with FMU?

thank you

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guest said:
I didn't get most of that.......
what do you mean by that ?

do you run FMU setup or something else ?

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's really not what I want to heard. I bought it, I'll use it until i'll go higher hp/pressure goal.

My question is: Can I tune my car with FMU with Narrowband O2 sensor or I MUST use wideband to tune it ?

thank you

·
Registered
629 Posts
Belette said:
It's really not what I want to heard. I bought it, I'll use it until i'll go higher hp/pressure goal.

My question is: Can I tune my car with FMU with Narrowband O2 sensor or I MUST use wideband to tune it ?

thank you
:rolleyes: i suppose you can do anything, its just a question of how much power you will make and how long it will last. remember that you can't control ignition timing with an fmu.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
If you throw it away, I'll take it :) NO, a narrow band is pretty much worthless. It will tell you if your rich or lean that's it, not how lean or rich. It has a range of like 16.1-14.1 or 13. something, not sure exactly. so anything above 16.1 is lean and everything below 14.1 is rich. What's your setup? you try to find someone with the same setup more or less, fuel sys. mostly. and see what disc he used in the fmu. or if your blowing black smoke go down a disc. But Ideally you gonna wanna invest in a wideband.

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice ! I heard somebody here mae 315whp with stock '98 DX ecu with Safc and 650cc injectors. No ignition controled and nothing else. Stock ignition D16y Ecu are VERY low and not agressive, I don't think so ignition will hurt something if it's start @12 and finish @ 19degrees, it's really not agressive.

I will invest to go 2-3 run on dyno and plug wideband to make it tune with the nearest disk :)

thank you

·
Registered
742 Posts
WHAT A nooB. boom = your head on this forum when you talk before you know what youre on about.

Belette:

FMU = 5lbs and quick little car. not super hp. And yeah, if you have an ajustable fmu with extra discs, then put a wide band on and do a few runs. The result will tell you if you run lean or rich and what disc to put in to be safe.

Rock it until you can find somthing better. Personally i love FMUs. they are a great way of stepping into FI while still keeping it cheap. After all, thats why we use D series engines at all.

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Photonic_Si said:
WHAT A nooB. boom = your head on this forum when you talk before you know what youre on about.

Belette:

FMU = 5lbs and quick little car. not super hp. And yeah, if you have an ajustable fmu with extra discs, then put a wide band on and do a few runs. The result will tell you if you run lean or rich and what disc to put in to be safe.

Rock it until you can find somthing better. Personally i love FMUs. they are a great way of stepping into FI while still keeping it cheap. After all, thats why we use D series engines at all.
I like this guy !! Constructive comments and something to learn from him :)

I want to run around 6 psi with current y7 setup (delta 272, y8 manifold, 60mm TB, 2.5inches exhaust, y8 tranny), and my hp goal is kinda low maybe 150-160whp and torque not too far. I'll run it until I'll learn more about turbo, and after higher goal with better turbo, built engine, and management, but for now 150-160whp is nice, and could be fun too :)

thank you

·
Registered
742 Posts
sounds like a great setup. 150-160 is still fun, and it means you can crap on b16s which is cool.

FMU means you can boost your car low, and learn how it will take higher boost, and also teaches you how to drive under increased power conditions progressivly. It also means you can boost while saving for some sort of decent management, and not get lagged by everything on the road.

Just dont go chasing porsches just yet.....:)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
just a quick question...this isn't thread jacking i hope (someone correct me - if so) ... if you're running low boost (~6psi on a .42/.48 t3) would a chipped ecu/crome on a "basemap" be better off than an FMU or...not?

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it could be better, but $$$ and maybe little bit more complicated. If you are on a budget build like me, you can go FMU a this pressure and flow from T3. But not fmu with higher goal...

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Photonic_Si said:
sounds like a great setup. 150-160 is still fun, and it means you can crap on b16s which is cool.

FMU means you can boost your car low, and learn how it will take higher boost, and also teaches you how to drive under increased power conditions progressivly. It also means you can boost while saving for some sort of decent management, and not get lagged by everything on the road.

Just dont go chasing porsches just yet.....:)
Yeah really true :)

Be sure, I won't goint to hunt Porsches yet, but maybe some 944 :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts