Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made several searches and cannot find any info in regards to the max width of a FMIC. I was able to find info on ef's but nothing on EK's. I am wondering what is the largest sized FMIC (width-wise) I can fit on an EK? FYI, I plan on keeping my front bumper reinforcement (rebar).

thanx in advance

·
Registered
464 Posts
slow down before you start buying parts...... what setup are u using....

alot of ppl go crazy buying parts that are overkill or not compatible... you need to have a well thoughtout plan b4 purchasing stuff.... so lets start there!

WHATS YOUR SETUP U WANNA RUN?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
i wouldnt run any bigger than 30" long X 7" tall X 3" thick (and these demensions are from endtank to endtank, not just the core) and thats if you are looking for HUGE numbers....make sure its bar and plate as well.

but for me, thats still too big........i am running a 28" X 6" X 3" and i think i still could have gone smaller. To give you an idea....im shooting for 300whp and my intercooler is very adequate for my setup.

good luck :TU:

·
formerly Kit88
6,233 Posts
slow down before you start buying parts...... what setup are u using....

alot of ppl go crazy buying parts that are overkill or not compatible... you need to have a well thoughtout plan b4 purchasing stuff.... so lets start there!

WHATS YOUR SETUP U WANNA RUN?
agree with this, in fact for this reason I have a 3" intercooler piping, it was to big for my setup, now I have to sell it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
how exactly do you calculate what intercooler you need?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
how exactly do you calculate what intercooler you need?
each intercooler usually comes with spec data that you need to look at before you buy. Each intercooler can only support a certain amount of power, and that power rating will be listed in the specs of the product....USUALLY. Most d-series arent going to run too terribly big of an intercooler, especially if its bar and plate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yea you def need to look into other things...i love the intercooler that come with my edelbrock kit it is not huge but it also isnt tiny either...i forget what the spec are but i think it is only like 2.25 width and like 27 by like 6.5

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
^ dude, dont i know you from ClubCivic? lol WhightKnight2000 on there for me...or am i mistaken?

EDIT: sorry for the useless post jack lol.

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
What kind of power do you plan to make. If it's anything crazy I have a 24x12x4 FMIC sitting next to me. :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
powerwise, I have no clue. I am planning on running 8-10psi on this setup:
engine: stock y7
tranny: z6

turbo: garrett T3 .60 (cold) .45(hot) (havent purchased yet...might have those #'s reversed!)

manifold: Greddy Cast for T3
Engine managment: Apexi safc
Boost controller: Turbonetics manual boost controller
ecu/electrical: stock y7 (obd2a)
injectors: DSM 450cc blue tops (do I need the resistor box?)
FMIC: ?

The reason I am asking about the 27x6x3 fmic is b/c my buddy has a spearco one that size sitting in his basement and he owes me some $$.

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
thats the same size that i have on the hatch :TU: ;)
What kind of numbers are you making? I guess that'll do the trick but unless you are pushing major boost the pressure drop has to be horrible and costing you some spool time and power.

As for what Specificcivic was asking, that intercooler should be fine for what your intentions are. As for the engine managment, I'd skip wasting my money on a AFC and go w/ a P06 socketed and chipped w/ the obd2-obd1 conversion harness. You can pick them up for 225 shipped and you'll be able to tune it more precisely and make more power for the same money you'd waste on an AFC. Just my .02

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What kind of numbers are you making? I guess that'll do the trick but unless you are pushing major boost the pressure drop has to be horrible and costing you some spool time and power.

As for what Specificcivic was asking, that intercooler should be fine for what your intentions are. As for the engine managment, I'd skip wasting my money on a AFC and go w/ a P06 socketed and chipped w/ the obd2-obd1 conversion harness. You can pick them up for 225 shipped and you'll be able to tune it more precisely and make more power for the same money you'd waste on an AFC. Just my .02
firstly, nice pic in your avitar!! ;)
secondly, cheers for the advice

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
firstly, nice pic in your avitar!! ;)
secondly, cheers for the advice
No problem. Glad to be of help. As for the avatar, Victoria's Secret models FTMFW. :thehump:

·
Registered
225 Posts
32x3x12... kept the rebar but i had to cut into it just a little because it was 3x12 but i know you can fit more then 32 inchs long (endtank to endtank) without cutting your bumper (depending on how you want to bolt the front mount to your car) plus like the previous posts suggested, check how much power you want and see if a big intercooler is truly wat you need

1 - 20 of 21 Posts