Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that lighten flywheel accleration is faster

well im going 2 replace clutch asap and i bout a flywheel when i got the clutch together off club civic and its a 12lbs flywheel should i or not use that on my motor ,will it make it slower etc etc?

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
2,915 Posts
I love my 10.9lb exedy flywheel, RPMs move a lot quicker now, but I don't think it really improved my acceleration much. I can shift gears a bit quicker now, so that helps.

·
Registered
857 Posts
ACT ProLite 8.4lbs, love it in my daily driver, not hard to drive at all with ACT XTSS clutch 8) 12lbs should be ok too.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I took my 8lb flywheel to get it resurfaced while i save up money for and locate an Si tranny. I put the stock D15Z6 flywheel on (which seemed lighter than the D16Z6) and it's a world of difference car is like half as quick. it's like lifting weights, you lift 50lbs hella fast then try pushing up 100lbs and you do it a bit slower... the lighter the easier it is on your motor to spin those wheels.

·
Registered
873 Posts
For a full interior dd ek sedan, would you guys still highly recommend a lighter flywheel on a built D?

I've mixed feelings about this coz my B16ef sedan that uses a 5.75kilo flywheel seems to run short on pull on 4th & 5th gear compared to when i used stock weight. Low gear acceleration & throttle response has improved though, but i dont wanna struggle getting to speed at higher gears if that's the trade off...

Bahhh IDK! it could just be me.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
i have a 96 lx 4dr with just the stock one lightened to just over 13 pounds and balanced within a 10th of a gram (nascar specs). the rpm's shoot up a little quicker and i dont have to downshift for hills as opposed to an 8lb flywheel.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
the only con i see to a light weight flywheel is the added effort in shifting. since the RPM's both raise and drop faster you have to sync your shifts more. with a stock flywheel you can let off the gas completely and the heavy flywheel will keep on spinning at higher RPM's which when you shift into the next gear helps the transition. with a light weight flywheel once you off the gas RPM's hit bottom so you would have to give the motor a little gas in between shifts to keep the RPM's up and not feel like you're dropping the clutch every time. someone came up with the idea to lighten the flywheel for a reason and that was to make race cars faster or quicker, they're good in any application unless you don't like the extra effort, which isn't much. lightening your flywheel isn't adding power it's freeing it up. if you think of HP as muscle and the flywheel as weight... it's easier to lift the lighter weight. it takes more energy to spin an 18lb mass than an 8lb mass. 125HP spins 8lbs quicker and easier than 18lbs, which results in quicker acceleration and better responce. since i had to swap my 8lb flywheel out for the stock one for repairs my car feels sluggish... and some guy in an egale talon turbo still said it's fast of an EG, lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts