Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mig welder (Hobart handler) that I am using flux core in. I can lay good beads, but I cannot get my 3" intercooler piping that I'm welding together to seal up without 10 pinholes in it. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Yeah its steel.... After all this patch work to the pinholes, I'm almost embarrassed to show you guys hahaha, I will post pics in a lil bit.
If you got a grinder and some time just grind it till its all smooth and looks like one piece hit it again with the welder then smooth it out again and it will look like its all once piece. thats what I Did on one of mines till my welding got better and I could do a single pass.

Edit

Yea I like thick metal it welds so much better.
But yea I filled gaps by turning it on low and just tacking it.
Or making a big O around the gap and getting tighter and tighter till it closes

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
When I put the welder over power level one, it blows right through the pipe, I have to build up some weld, then I try to melt it all together with power level 3.

Btw, the reason I know I have pinholes is because I am pressure testing it with my turbo pressure tester.

That is what I have been doing, grinding it down and rewelding it, then it seems like it is getting thinner by the time all my humps are down lol. I don't really have a problem welding two pipes together, its where I'm welding now... I'll def. post some pics in a lil bit.

Do most people pressure test? Because when I pressure tested my exhaust, my former mechanic (complete fucking idiot) welded o2 and wideband bungs in, and they leak like hell.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Yea pressure test all my weld and use soap water.
And sometimes when you put it on the lowest setting it will build u a weld easier then in high.

But waiting on pix.

And to combat the splatter of flux core I wrap the part I don't want the splatter to get to in foil.

Edit..

Here what's mean with the foil this is from my build

16gauge pipe welded to a vband flange no leak after single pass.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
i weld with fluxcore 24V and 220 wire speed. oh wait, i weld sch 120 pipe. lol

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Are you sure that the wires for power and ground are in the correct position? Fluxcore needs to have the main wires switched from a normal MIG setup.

Also, make sure your connections on your ground wire are clean and tight, including the contact bits. Grounds are ultra-important for wire fed welding processes.

Also, stop using fluxcore for thin crap. It sucks.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure that the wires for power and ground are in the correct position? Fluxcore needs to have the main wires switched from a normal MIG setup.

Also, make sure your connections on your ground wire are clean and tight, including the contact bits. Grounds are ultra-important for wire fed welding processes.

Also, stop using fluxcore for thin crap. It sucks.
Yeah, definitely is in the right polarity, I think I Just suck, and / or the fluxcore is a little too hot for this thin pipe, like you said, but damn xile, I wish I could seal shit up in 1 pass. What wire speed and power setting do you guys use when welding thin pipe like this?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Yeah, definitely is in the right polarity, I think I Just suck, and / or the fluxcore is a little too hot for this thin pipe, like you said, but damn xile, I wish I could seal shit up in 1 pass. What wire speed and power setting do you guys use when welding thin pipe like this?
I use 35 wire lincon I think. Lowe's has it for like $12 for 1 or 2lbs. speed I think is on 2/10 and power on high.
I have the harbor freight 90amp one.

Had tons of practice tho.
Use a auto darkening helmet and 2 hands to hold welder.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use 35 wire lincon I think. Lowe's has it for like $12 for 1 or 2lbs. speed I think is on 2/10 and power on high.
I have the harbor freight 90amp one.

Had tons of practice tho.
Use a auto darkening helmet and 2 hands to hold welder.
I also use 35 wire. If I would put my welder above half power, it would instantly go through it... Although I've never tried that low of speed. I will be doing that for sure. I can't get any pics tonight though, my pregnant wife wants me in bed :taz:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts