Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can't seem to find this but i could swear endyn was featuring a d series fluidampr at one point. does anyone know if there are any floating about?

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
as far as i know ati or fluidamper can make one but it wont be cheap since they dont offer one for the d.

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
They told me they'd do a run of 500 of them and sell them for $300 each if someone could guarantee upfront costs.

I had a stock pulley shaved down for $58 instead.
http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=1810330

That's mine in the first pic. PS: You have to use a 92+ pulley.

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
Just lathe work.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess lathing would be the best solution. either way i'll need a crank pulley with dampening lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread im kinda new at this fourm thing. but i have a d16y7 im using a d16z6 lightweight crank pulley that weights 1Lb. ounces and i was wondering would this affect me? It runs great had it one for over a month no problems it seemed to pull harder on top end but thats about it. Its a great pulley has a/c, power steering spots even tho i dont use them. I need some input on this PLEASE!!! I just need to know should i throw the stock pulley back on and like shave it down or something or would that be stupid 2. I know that less roatation mass can cause faster rev's and so on but is it gonna hurt my fresh build.. And p.s iv been driving the Crap out of my D-series and it seems to make great power. I have backround on building but i just saw this and went 0.0 I forgot about balance! But im not pushing 200+ like most you im sure. So i dont think the dynamic's apply until ur making real power.. Right?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I don't see how this really effects the engine that much. Anyone willing to share theory of why I would want one of these?

·
Premium Member
89 CRX Si
1,041 Posts
Yup. Harmonic dampening. Have fun.
Imagine a stick of metal with 4 levers on it pointing in different directions. Now attach metal sticks to each of those levers. Now use controlled explosions to push down on the 4 sticks. Lots of vibration, and the faster you spin the stick with the lever on it, more vibration will be created. The larger the explosions (more power), more vibration will be created. At a certain RPM you'll achieve a harmonic which can actually cause the metal to bend and/or crack. A damping pulley absorbs some of those vibrations reducing the stress on the crank.

If you're diligent about balancing the rotating mass and you plan to inspect the engine bottom end on a regular basis, you can probably reap the benefit of a lighter, un-damped pulley, but to ensure long-term health of your engine's bottom end, a damped pulley is probably a good idea.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts