Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1988 crx
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going everyone. its been a while.

I know its a Honda forum but I really need help
..Please read.

So me(Honda accord) my brother(98 sentra) went to a beautiful park
with the family. than boom! it started pouring rain. so we figured it would
be a good idea to leave. by the time we packed the streets were flooding.
Unfortunately there was only one exit. and the water wasn't high
at all.. but by the time we hit the road our cars got surrounded by water!

We tried and tried to shake off but our tires got stuck into the gravel road.
so we hit the ebrakes and bailed. by the time we got to a safe zone the water
was half way up to our hoods already. So in my mind I was thinking both cars
were complete total loss. after a few hours of waiting the water finally lowered and
we were able to pull our cars back to dry land with help of a friends truck..

but both weren't turning on. we figured it would be best to leave them overnight
to dry and come in the morning. the next morning my brother showed up and was
able to get the accord running. he said it ran great and he took it home to get it
detailed. his Nissan in the other hand turned on fine, but as soon as he drove a block
it stalled on him. I told him to clean the filer and use a auto start spray. but he
couldn't get it to turn on. once I finally got off work I went to see the car.

I removed the intake filter and pipe and realized there was dry mud. not a whole lot.
but some. only saw a few stains near the trothle body. I didn't want to force it and I
figured we should tow it home and do some drying and cleaning before we kepted trying to turn
it on.

So sometime this week I plan on doing a few thing.

-remove throttle body and manifold to clean and dry
-do complete oil change/check plugs/spark
-empty fuel by fuel line + buy new fuel filter
-remove and clean oil pan
.. im hoping with these few things we can get it running again.

my question is what else can I do? and what may be the issue? Im thinking some
water and mud went into the manifold. if so what can I do? maybe the starter?
I really want to get this car running so any help and tips would
be appreciated. I was told by the autozone workers that even if some water and minor
mud managed to get into the manifold that with a complete oil change should
get it right. Please help! it sounds healthy when you cranck it. it just wont start.
and with the help of the auto start spray it starts but shuts down.

Thanks in advanced.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Computer may have gotten wet or any of the ignition stuff. Take off the Dist cap and see if any water is in it and if so dry it out. Same thing with the plugs and wires. Any of the fuses blown? Any water in the fuse block area? Check connections at the harness to see if any water seeped into them.

·
Registered
1988 crx
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Computer may have gotten wet or any of the ignition stuff. Take off the Dist cap and see if any water is in it and if so dry it out. Same thing with the plugs and wires. Any of the fuses blown? Any water in the fuse block area? Check connections at the harness to see if any water seeped into them.
these are some good ideas. im going to add them to my to do list!

Dang sorry to hear man. That sounds pretty crazy how fast the water rose on you. Hope you get it figured out.
I had never witnessed anything like it. the worst part is my brothers fiancé is pregnant and they had their 1 yr old baby in the car. so we ditched the cars. & the current was just scary man...

BUT THANK YOU. IM REALLY HOPING ITS NOTHING MAJOR

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Remove plugs and wires and check if there is water in the cylinders....if so crank over with spark plugs out....that should hopefully get most of it out. Ifyour cylinders are full of water (hydro locked) your engine cannot compress the water, so generally the rods bend and all kinds of other fun stuff. Make sure all electronics are dry and check that water didnt get :nside the dist. Cap.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
If your cylinders are full of water (hydro locked) your engine cannot compress the water, so generally the rods bend and all kinds of other fun stuff.
I know this part all too well, HG went out on the old 4runner 22r and now look at #4 sittin ganksta low. Bent rod is my guess.

·
Registered
1988 crx
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remove plugs and wires and check if there is water in the cylinders....if so crank over with spark plugs out....that should hopefully get most of it out. Ifyour cylinders are full of water (hydro locked) your engine cannot compress the water, so generally the rods bend and all kinds of other fun stuff. Make sure all electronics are dry and check that water didnt get :nside the dist. Cap.
I remove the cables earlier and it looked dry in there..
should i still remove the plugs and try crancking?//

just want to double check.
-so i remove just the plugs from the head/ (not the dizzy)
/than i remove the spark plugs. than i try to turn on the
car to see if it spits out water? wouldnt oil flyout? sorry never tried thise before.

·
Registered
1988 crx
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil wouldn't fly out. You're checking to see if any water got into the cylinders. pull the plugs out and crank it.
So I removed the wires and plugs. I cranked it a few times and nothing
Jumped up at all. I stuck in a towel and it came out dry. Checked the oil and
It looks thick and gold.

Maybe the starter or a relay
So I'm going to go ahead and flush everything out and go from there

·
Registered
1988 crx
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i have some bad news to report :(

i did a complete oil change
-i removed most of the gas and changed the oil filter
and i cleaned the manifold as best i could.

after further inspection of the old oil i found a wholel
lot of peices of branches and little tiny sticks. the road we
were in was mostly mud and dirt. so im super bumed. the
car still cranks fine but wont start. any suggestions?

·
Registered
EJ6
117 Posts
so i have some bad news to report :(

i did a complete oil change
-i removed most of the gas and changed the oil filter
and i cleaned the manifold as best i could.

after further inspection of the old oil i found a wholel
lot of peices of branches and little tiny sticks. the road we
were in was mostly mud and dirt. so im super bumed. the
car still cranks fine but wont start. any suggestions?
Could the sticks have been in the drain bucket before you drained it? I would do a compression test and then check spark and fuel (maybe just a blown fuse)

·
Registered
1988 crx
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe drain the oil, and then take off the oil pan to get more of the crap out
that's exactly what I was thinking.

Could the sticks have been in the drain bucket before you drained it? I would do a compression test and then check spark and fuel (maybe just a blown fuse)
well the drain bucket was brand new. but than again it has a big opening. and I was struggeling to remove the oil filter. maybe in that struggle I managed to knock sticks and mud into the bucket. the engine and engine bay is super dirty, plenty of mud dirt and rocks.

im going to do what colelmt suggested. that way ill be certain wheter it came from the block or not. that's what I was thinking, a fuse or maybe the fuel pump

·
Registered
1988 crx
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so iam minutes away from throwing in the towel. i gave the nissan a rest for now and figured id get my 94 ex accord running first. did a complete oil change. and cranked it over and it turned on fine. than boom. turns off. i had previously checked the plugs(they were dry) i rechecked them and i found they were completely burnt. i replaced them and after a few times of cranking i got it to turn on. it sounded fine but when i rev it wont go over 3500 rpm. it sounds like its 2stepping and wont go over 3500-4000. i turned it off and couldnt turn it back on so i gave it a rest for the day. exhausted! any clues?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Muffler full of mud? Do a compression and leak down test, remove ecu and inspect for corrosion, and spray anything that's electrical with WD40.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The alternator probably needs to be replaced.

EDIT: Driving a car that was just flooded is the worst thing you can do. The electrical systems will ground and short everywhere.

·
Registered
1988 crx
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so im back at it. i removed my ecu and opened it up and it was not a good sight. dry mud and dirt everywhere. so i went to the junk yard and managed to find a p0a ecu like the one i needed. bare in mind im loosing my head a bit. i came home, immediately connected the new ecu and turned on the car... the car turned on in a flash! and boom! it reved up to about 4k and i heard a low pop and it shut back down. i tried to turn it on again and now the crank sounds weak compared to before...

it wasnt till now i read that the ecu needs to be in the plate and position to have ground? im bummed all over again. i opened the ecu to see if theres any signs of burnt but it looks fine. any suggestions? maybe a relay? thanks in advanced

·
Registered
650 Posts
First off, like I said above, never drive a car that was just flooded. The ECU might be okay. You're going to have to carefully pick over every circuit, and make sure that you don't have any grounds or shorts. You'll probably have a number of electrical components that will need replacing.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts