Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, 04 LX 5SPD 203k.

Just purchased the vehicle and I'm doing some preventive maintenance but, I noticed when I'm in the cockpit, looking at the gauges the lights have a very slight flicker while the car is idling. I turned on the dome lights and they also have a faint flickering. Also, I noticed the dash gauges are lit while the headlights are off but, when I turn on the headlights, the gauges dim. Seems backwards to me. Could it be the alternator? Loose wire/ground? I'm new to the car so, I don't know where the grounds are located. Maybe the ground connections need a cleaning. I don't see any wiring tampered with.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You mentioned the things that I would check. First hook a multimeter to the positive and negative terminal of the battery when the car is started. This will check the alternator output should be about 13.5vdc. Watch to see if you see a lot fluctuating. Usually if this was bad your headlights would also be flickering. But when you turn on the headlight on and interior dimmed this may be your alternator struggle to provide enough volt/current to keep up with the demand, try the same actions while watching the multimeter to see the voltage readings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I turn on the headlights, the headlights flicker but, nothing dims in the cockpit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts