Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
94 del sol
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I gots a question for yall.I understand that the crower rods requier block notching but i hear that they are fjt rods that fit perfectly.whats you guys feelings on the subject.im really nerves about cutting into my block ive never done it before and their isnt alot of people hear in anchorage that know how to do it.

i just thought this one is funny :swallow:

·
Registered
239 Posts
crower makes them stronger for any application. they have you notch the block for fitment. if they made them smaller to fit they would probably not be as strong

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
Your comparing a $300 rod to a $800 rod for the sake of notching?

Notching the block really isn't difficult at all and takes about 20-30 minutes.
I don't know if the Crower I beam requires notching, or if fjt's I beam require notching, but I defintiely wouldn't let that be the determining factor in my rod decision.

For the $500 difference you could buy the air compressor, air tool, grinding bit, a sharpie, a bunch of brakleen...and still have about $100 left.

Just my opinion...maybe I'm just tired and cranky right now

·
Registered
94 del sol
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ok kool.but im going with hbeams and cp's.i wanna go with vitaras but i hear you get really bad piston slap.plus it makes your shit sound like a schoolbus

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
I haven't seen an HBeam with ARP2000s that doesn't require notching. (not saying there isn't one, I just can't think of one)

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
Hey guys I gots a question for yall.I understand that the crower rods requier block notching but i hear that they are fjt rods that fit perfectly.whats you guys feelings on the subject.im really nerves about cutting into my block ive never done it before and their isnt alot of people hear in anchorage that know how to do it.

i just thought this one is funny :swallow:

is your engine a d16? a

·
Registered
94 del sol
261 Posts
well the reason why im doing that is because I DONT KNOW!! im not trying to be a dick man trust me.im just nerves abot cutting into my block.ive never done it before.ive and its alot easyer said then done.i have never opeaned up a motor before so yeahhhhh yeah its a d16z6 in a 94 del sol si.

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
well the reason why im doing that is because I DONT KNOW!! im not trying to be a dick man trust me.im just nerves abot cutting into my block.ive never done it before.ive and its alot easyer said then done.i have never opeaned up a motor before so yeahhhhh
When the motor is completely taken apart and you have the block sitting bare on the stand it will be alot clearer as to what you need to do. Go to endynes websight, I beleive they have a pretty clear write up on there. www.theoldone.com should be it.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
yeah its a d16z6 in a 94 del sol si.

i work with fj, and i'm checking with him whether the block needs notching or not....

k, just got his text.

yes, it requires notching of the block. but unlike other brands, fj h rods doesn't require additional notch work at the crank girdle.

hope it answered your question.

for any other question on our products, feel free to send us pm

or email us at [email protected]

[email protected]

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
concerning the schoolbus noise with the vitaras (lol!), yes there's a noticeable noise. but like everything, noise will not be a nuissance in a couple of weeks. besides the benefits on having vitaras surpasses any noise complaint, lol.

if you decide to go with vitaras, i must suggest to get fj i beams. these will get the vitara pistons to zero deck.

·
Registered
1999 civic Hatchback
2,452 Posts
On the D16 engines the FJ R SPEC rods require notching of the block but no notching of the girdle..

Any other aftermarket rod that you get will require notching of the block and most likelly notching of the girdle..atleast Eagle and SCAT do.. i dunno about CROWER but again.. why the heck spend 700+ on a rod when you have one much cheaper that will do the job..

With 700 dollars you can buy a d16 block($150), a complete set of vitara pistons and Forged I beam rods ($425 for the comb) and a set of ARP head studs($100).. there you have a 450+whp block setup with what cost you just a set of CROWERS...

·
Registered
94 del sol
261 Posts
damn thanks guys.this does take away alot some stress about notching.im found the turbo i want its a t3/t40e it should get me to my 300/350 goal.going with the mini ram also.i cant waite to hear my bov.ahhhhhhh

yeah im getting a block guard also.people say they are not needed but i have a buddy that had one hell of a y8 and he said teh block gurad does give a better pice of mind.im also going with the zex cam and head set.i think its the 59300.

·
El Noob
98 Civic EX/ 86 MR2
2,794 Posts
On the D16 engines the FJ R SPEC rods require notching of the block but no notching of the girdle..

Any other aftermarket rod that you get will require notching of the block and most likelly notching of the girdle..atleast Eagle and SCAT do.. i dunno about CROWER but again.. why the heck spend 700+ on a rod when you have one much cheaper that will do the job..

With 700 dollars you can buy a d16 block($150), a complete set of vitara pistons and Forged I beam rods ($425 for the comb) and a set of ARP head studs($100).. there you have a 450+whp block setup with what cost you just a set of CROWERS...
X2. Listen to the man. I have a set of his old rods. Great rods. Id get his and save up on cash.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
damn thanks guys.this does take away alot some stress about notching.im found the turbo i want its a t3/t40e it should get me to my 300/350 goal.going with the mini ram also.i cant waite to hear my bov.ahhhhhhh

check us out at www.fjdistributors.com . we have the best prices on bullseye-power turbos. also check fjt's new threed at d-series affiliates for the announcement on our new turbo kit!

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
yeah im getting a block guard also.people say they are not needed but i have a buddy that had one hell of a y8 and he said teh block gurad does give a better pice of mind.im also going with the zex cam and head set.i think its the 59300.

you can go zex or hit us up for bisimoto cams. we're authorized dealers on bisimoto engineering products.

we're trying to organize a group buy on bisimoto products.

maybe you will be interested in being there.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts