Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal, I have a 94 honda civic ex. It has a 99 SOHC V-Tec engine in it with I/H/E. I bought the car for $ 1500, but heres the catch.. it needs a new clutch and mayb rebuild the tranny. Also it has a blown head gasket and that isnt that bad (i think) because when i gun it it still pulls very hard and its fast. But iam still gonna have to fix it if i dont want my engine to blow. So my question to you guys is Should i spend the money to fix it or should i jus invest in a new engine swap? The head gasket job iam gonna do myself if i decide to keep the engine so that will save me alot of money but the clutch and tranny that will defitnetly have to be taken to a shop which will run me about $ 1200. I know this is my decision in the end since it is my car but i am jus wondering what people think and mayb there thoughts and mayb some advice. One thing about another engine swap would be if i get a JDM engine it is gonna be really hard to smog it and have it legal and it is very hard to find a USDM Engine and there more pricy. So i guess jus let me kno what you guys think?? Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
2000 Civic DX hatch
202 Posts
you oughta be able to find a place that will throw another usdm y8 or z6 in there for 1200 to 1500 i would think. If you're wanting a dohc swap, well, that'll get expensive real quick from a shop, so if that's the options I would just fix what you have.

Your call.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it kinda over heats and the radiator is pushing coolant into the overflow and it fills it up and it leaks from there. Also everytime when iam done driving it i check the radiator and it is low and i have to keep adding coolant.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
naw i know what your talking about dude. but i just went outside to look at my car but i cant really see the sensor would it be easier to see it from the bottom??

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
umm... you should leave this kind of stuff to a pro.. or pick up a book to read a few things...
I love it! You should read more than a few things! I don't see the HG install going well if you don't know what the crank pulley is (Bottom most pulley on you engine. It's attached to the crankshaft).

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
fix the head gasket $100(hg and fluids), grab a tranny from a junk yard or forum $100-300, clutch ebay it $150, manuel $free download it its in a sticky just search, your lookin at a good weekend project and only $350-550 bucks

is the car overheating it may just be a thermostate stuck shut. if so it wont allow for the coolent to flow or a clog somewhere else like the heater core.

check your oil for water and check your coolant for oil thats a big sign of blown hg also is it smoking out of your exhaust? sluggishness, bad idol , are all signs of blown hg

fix it for sure, also while you got the head off check the condision of the cylinder walls just good to know if they look all hagard or if they look mint

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damm man i know what a Crank Pulley is! Jezz you guys get so crazzy if someone says something wrong jeez!!! Anyways yea i checked the thermostate and it didnt have one and i put a new one in. and it is still overheating. iam pretty sure it is a HG i was jus trying to see if it my car had a OBD1 or a OBD2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts