Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is another thread dealing with this, please point me to it...I couldn't find one myself.

I have a 96 civic hatch for which I bought an ebay header-back exhaust (my old exhaust rusted out and I needed one fast). My current set up is 4-2-1 header - downpipe has a 2" OD. It came with a test pipe with a 2.25" Inlet and 2.5" outlet which I currently have on the car which then goes to a 2.5" catback.

I want to get rid of the test pipe and replace it with a catalytic converter. (it sounds like crap with the test pipe and is way too loud...plus I would like to do something about the emissions.

My question is... if I get a direct-fit cat with a 2.5" inlet/outlet, will that bolt on to my current downpipe? My test pipe has a 2.25" inlet and works, but idk if a 2.5 would be too large. I can't seem to find a cat that has a 2.25" inlet and 2.5" outlet.

Could I get a universal cat and weld a 2.25" inlet and 2.5" outlet flanges onto it?

What is the best way for me to go about installing a cat?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About how much will getting the flanges welded cost? I'm assuming there is no way to use a 2.5 - 2.5 or 2.25 - 2.25? I was told the flanges will bolt up to each other, idk though.

Do you know of any universal cats that are 16-17" long? I am having trouble finding anything over 14"

Thanks!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Using a universal cat and welding flanges to match you exhaust set up will most likey also take care of the 2 - 3 inches you are looking for, on your exhaust any way, jk.

Take the cat to an exhaust shop and have them fit a flange to the side needing to be adapted adding a couple inches as well to fill the gap. Maybe Im missing something though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. I will probably end up doing that. I was just hoping to find a direct bolt on so I could just do it myself real quick, but I might as well just do it that way so I am guaranteed perfect fitment.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered a 2.5" Magnaflow universal cat. I'm going to take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld the flanges on. The cat is 16", so I am thinking the flanges should make up the missing length (give or take). I stopped by Midas on my way home from the grocery store today and asked them for an estimate (gave them all the details); they guy said he honestly doesn't know and would have to see everything, but quoted me anywhere from $50 - $110. Does this seem like a reasonable estimate to you guys? I was hoping to pay between $30 and $50 to have this done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts