Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had been given this turbo a while ago and completely forgot about it until I cleaned out my garage and thought that I'd do some research and install it on a D15B VTEC. It does not have any internal modifications for it will be boosted stock (if possible with this turbo) the block is stamped with D15B just so you guys know and I'm looking for around 180HP if I can use this turbo.

I was told that it may be a T25 that were used in the early 90's Nissan 300ZX models I but wasn't able to pin point exactly what kind of turbo this is.

I've added some photos for you guys to see and maybe you could help me out, I've searched the forum but a lot of the images didn't show or it just wasn't the same one that I had.

Much appreciated,

DR34MS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Full boost by 2700rpm with that thing! It should get you where you need to be. I put down 197whp @ 10psi (larger turbo) on a bone stock "jdm" D15B. That was on a dyno dynamics and they read much like a mustang dyno so it would be around 220whp on a dynojet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses guys.

Gus I measured my turbo and the measurements were exactly dead on to that diagram.

Which part would guys recommend that I approach now, should I find a manifold first and then do a custom down pipe? I'm also debating between ram horn or just a top mount manifold but hear they both work the same way just that the ram horns eliminate space for a larger turbo.

And is this kit worth buying for the intercooler/piping?

DR34MS.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys.

Gus I measured my turbo and the measurements were exactly dead on to that diagram.

Which part would guys recommend that I approach now, should I find a manifold first and then do a custom down pipe? I'm also debating between ram horn or just a top mount manifold but hear they both work the same way just that the ram horns eliminate space for a larger turbo.

And is this kit worth buying for the intercooler/piping?

DR34MS.
Are you trying to keep ac?
I would go ram horn or log style. The top mount are mainly for higher hp turbos and they also spool the turbo a little later because the longer runners.

Always get the Turbo then manifold then downpipe then intercooler piping. That way you will be sure everything fits good.
Which intercooler kit are you talking about? If your asking if a intercooler is need. Yes it is imo.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Imo its over price and your still have to mod the turbo to piping part. Most intercooler kits are made for t3 turbos.

U can find some piping and intercooler gor cheaper or fab up one. Im making mines out of steel so I just weld up all the bends to cut down on clamps/couplers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True, save some money by doing that ..I'll take it into consideration when the time comes for when I need the piping.

What kind of manifold did you end up going with for your turbo btw?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, its been a while since I've last posted and I didn't want to create a new thread so I thought I'd do an update from here.

Unfortunately my D15B had started to run rough, was very sluggish & then started to misfire (so it sounded) so I parked the car the last couple months. I pulled off the head and had already seen that it was much worse than I had imagined.

So far I've cleaned up the head myself, I've spent about 4 hours doing so but still have ways to go. I had the valves/springs taken out by a mechanic since I couldn't.

As for the bottom end, it still sits in the engine bay. I took a quick picture of the cleanest cylinder but from what I can see there aren't any scratches on any of the walls. As for p2w I have not a clue to what's good opposed to bad.

Right now I am stuck and debating on what I should do next. I've come this far decided that I want to rebuild the head but as far as the bottom end goes, I have not a clue to what I want to do. I've done some research and read that the deck height is shorter than other D's, and have also come across that FJ isn't currently around anymore so their custom piston/rod combo is out of the question.

I've stated before that I was in pursuit of 180whp ..It was a DD and I'm hoping to have it back up and running by next summer. I considered a build for a more reliable DD opposed to a stock D15B, any advice?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 Del Sol
906 Posts
Dam man. That is some serious build up on those valves. FJ is not around anymore, although there are other options. P2p0.com has vitara pistons/custom rods combo for $375. They look exactly like FJ spec rods but without the stamp. I would build the bottom end, it’s cheap. And you set yourself up for the future, because I promise you, 180whp will not be enough forever…

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
P2P0 doesn't have custom rods for the d15b. But if it is an obd 1 d15b you can use d16 eagle rods and d17 pistons, perfably forged pistons. That would give you a solid bottom end that will hold more than the sleeves can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the spark plug and valves look like it has melted. what happend?
That's what I thought too at first glance but it was actually just some serious build up, when the valves were being taken out we had to use a chisel to take most of it off in order for the valve tool to stay where it needed to be.

As far as what happened I do not really know and am not a gear head but I assume that over the years the oil oxidized and formed enough carbon deposit that led up to the valves not being able to close properly in that particular set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
P2P0 doesn't have custom rods for the d15b. But if it is an obd 1 d15b you can use d16 eagle rods and d17 pistons, perfably forged pistons. That would give you a solid bottom end that will hold more than the sleeves can.
Yes, it's a OBD1 D15B. This isn't the first time I've heard about people using D17 pistons but normally I had come across them being a replacement for a N/A application so I didn't read up too much about them.

Being so, how does the D17 piston correspond to a D16 rod? Any custom work that is needed to be done? I have yet to research this but I didn't get a chance to with school today.

I've read about people using a D16 piston/rod combo though, and am aware that the piston will sit above the deck and to be honest it's where I'm sort of leaning towards at the moment - what do you think about this route?

Or I get myself a z6 block if I can find one and save myself the trouble.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
That engine was babied and never saw above 5k rpm lol. Some serious build up. Thats what you call a naturaly grown high compression engine. That will for sure cause a rough idle and missfire. Carbon build up that bad actually absorbes fuel like a sponge. Nothing a wire wheel can't fix.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts