Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey doing my first boost build and had a few questions, i have a d16y8 bottom end with a jdm d15b vtec head. I have a ebay t3/t4, and a ebay manifold, blitz blow off valve, and no name wastegate, fmic and piping. I have the oil lines and 440cc inejctors and boost controller. So now do i just install it and have it tuned. Is it safe to drive to get tuned on like 8lbs

·
Registered
662 Posts
Could he just disconnect a piece or charge pipe and drive it safely to get tuned?
I think it would be better to remove the spring from the waste gate.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I think it would be better to remove the spring from the waste gate.
Before you turn a wrench on the car, you need to make sure you have all of the needed parts to complete the install. You listed some of the needed parts, not all of them.
2x on both.
Go over your list and make sure you got everything down to the last bolt.
Then take out the wastegate spring so it doesnt build boost and get it tune.
Also what will you be tuning with, i didnt see that listed.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yeah from what you posted no, dont drive it, or boost it. But if you left stuff out to save time in typing then, no. Dont drive it until you have it tuned. You may slip, sneeze and squeeze the trigger and boom, blow your head off, or your bottom out.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
If you really need to drive it to the tuner you can always put in the stock injectors, stock ecu and remove the wastegate spring so it wont make boost.

Don't drive it hard and it should be alright.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's not always needed at lower power levels.

I agree with you & I also disagree. Most of us have older cars. This is after all d-series.org. Most of the cars we drive are at a minimum of 7 years old. Most a hell of a lot older than that. My beloved civic is 17 years old. Who knows how old the fuel pump is in their car. Most of us picked up our civics 2nd hand. With crappy or no upkeep records. The price of a new fuel pump is pennies on the dollar when it comes to a new engine. Cheap insurance that the force fed monster will have it's thirst quenched for the next 60k. Remember your build is only as good as your weakest link.

People will always try to cut corners & play the odds. In the end the house always wins.

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
Before you turn a wrench on the car, you need to make sure you have all of the needed parts to complete the install. You listed some of the needed parts, not all of them.
Well spoken.
Definitely make a checklist of everything that you need.
You want to eliminate any issues, especially if you are paying someone per hour to use their dyno.
Many variables can go wrong, eliminating these can save huge headaches.

Check your list 2 even 3 times and do it right once.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
I agree with you & I also disagree. Most of us have older cars. This is after all d-series.org. Most of the cars we drive are at a minimum of 7 years old. Most a hell of a lot older than that. My beloved civic is 17 years old. Who knows how old the fuel pump is in their car. Most of us picked up our civics 2nd hand. With crappy or no upkeep records. The price of a new fuel pump is pennies on the dollar when it comes to a new engine. Cheap insurance that the force fed monster will have it's thirst quenched for the next 60k. Remember your build is only as good as your weakest link.

People will always try to cut corners & play the odds. In the end the house always wins.
good point. I was thinking about my car from a few years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts