Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm a DSeries noob, and apologize if this is misplaced.

I have a CRX Si with a D15B2 block. I blew a head gasket or the head was warped. I had the head leveled and rebuilt the head, but I managed to screw up the head studs threads on the block. I even managed to screw up a helicoil rethreading kit, well at least it's not holding torque. :bash:

I picked up most of a D16Z6 engine (missing injectors and parts of the distributor), that someone who seemed knowledgeable was rebuilding but opted for a B series instead. But the D16Z6 has PM3 pistons.

Now, the CRX is my daily driver doing 20k miles a year so I really would prefer reliability and economy over performance. So I'm considering doing a stock rebuild since I would prefer to run on 87 octane. I just want to get the CRX back up to at least stock Si performance (108 hp). I'm also shooting for 40 mpg on the highway. I'm sure I'd be happier with a D15Z1 but I couldn't find one locally.

So my questions:

1. How long does it take to rebuild a block?
2. What tools would I need and where can I get them?
3. What are some good threads to read?
4. Where to find stock PM3 pistons?
5. How much would it cost?
6. Can I reuse the Si intake manifold?

I read over a service manual a bit, but I would appreciate some guidance.

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
So my questions:

1. How long does it take to rebuild a block?
2. What tools would I need and where can I get them?
3. What are some good threads to read?
4. Where to find stock PM3 pistons?
5. How much would it cost?
6. Can I reuse the Si intake manifold?

I read over a service manual a bit, but I would appreciate some guidance.
Money=time to a degree. A strickly stock rebuild will be cheaper and faster but your experience will play part aswell. A rebuild will take months in most cases, between waiting on machine work, parts to be shipped in, and putting it all together.

Tools depend on how much your gonna let a shop do vs what you plan to do yourself. It also depends on cash of course and your intent with them, weather it's for hobby, necessity, or professional use.

The basics would consist of:

Full metric/standard socket set with all 3 sized ratchets, extentions, adapters and so on (a brand with a lifetime warranty is smart) Oh make sure it has the right spark plug socket too

full set open/box-end wrenches

prolly 2 torque wrenches (3/8" and 1/2") to range low to high specs (don't cheap out on these) you can google "Dseries torque specs sheet" to see the ranges of what you'll need

a long 1/2" breaker bar comes in handy

32mm 1/2" socket for axel nuts

Feeler gauges

BFH (aka Big hammer) and rubber mallet

Gasket scraper and razor blades

screwdriver sets, allen wrenches, nut drivers

assorted pliers, vice grips, adjustable wrenches

mircometers, caliper, either T-gauges or dia bore gauge, mechanics dial indicator and maybe the magnetic holder too. Maybe some of these can be optional I guess but don't cheap out on these either and research what you need before you buy them. (I'm looking at Shars.com for all of these items)

Piston ring pliers, Piston ring compressor

Engine stand is cheap and helps alot (harbor freight $35 w/ coupon)

Engine lift is optional ( Harbor Feight $99 w/ coupon)

^^^this is nowhere near the end but it's a pretty good start. I'm cheap/broke so my brands have ranged from: Stanley (aka walmart), Harbor Freight, Craftsman, Auto Zone (only if I have too), and Shars in the future for measuring tools.

One of the best "stock rebuilds" would be--->http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/139135-d16y8-oem-rebuild-begins-pics.html

This is by no means the only OEM rebuild thread here so you should dig around and read a few, I'm sure you can find a good one for the Z6 too.

Learn to google/DSO search your questions as you'll find plenty of info that way instead of waiting for somebody to come around to answer the simple questions for you.

If you plan to use the Z6 in your Rex then your gonna wanna read up on OBD1conversion for your car. You can find that info here but the CRX forums may go more indepth on your swap. Then again I'm sure there are 100's of build threads here that would fill you in on that same swap.

I've spoke too much...good luck with your build :stuart:

·
Registered
89 CRX Si
32 Posts
You can save a lot of money on the tools if you have someone you could borrow some from someone. Unless you have the cash and want to update your own inventory.

I ended up borrow an impact gun, breaker bars, extensions, and torque wrench(s). And I'm not even half way through my build, but it also helps when you know people who are mechanics and have there own garages.

·
Registered
1995 Del Sol Si
70 Posts
Don't forget about Chiltons/Haynes manuals, and your applicable factory service manuals.
You should be able to get most of your info from those books. As far as the swap goes, just search the forums! And of course, if you are completely stumped, you can always post your question up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts