Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a local performance shop by the name of Modern Automotive Performance, in my home state of MN, hosted an event called Proving Grounds. The event consists of Drift, Drag, Road Course and AutoX. Brainerd International Raceway is the track.
http://www.maperformance.com/proving-grounds/

After my first visit to proving grounds in 2012 as a spectator, I knew that I someday wanted to run the road course. After some ups and downs financially in 2013, I finally secured a great Job and was finally able to afford another car. now with budget in mind I figured what better then buying a hatch?

Well I picked up a 92 Civic Dx, I wanted to build this car to be fairly reliable, so I went the Cheap and Reliable route, Speed wasn't a priority. Mods are in Video Description..

Anyways here a video of my first track day EVER, so tips and criticism is much appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXo1CUJ1bGg&list=HL1403588959

watch in HD ;)

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Watched the first couple minutes, I strongly recommend breaking the habit of putting your thumbs inside the steering wheel, in the event something goes tits up and you hit something that whips the wheel around, it will break them and you will be a very unhappy guy with casts on both hands...also, you spend a lot of time with your hand on the shifter. Both hands on the wheel as often as possible.

Car seems healthy, sounds like you still have the stock DX tranny? The Si/EX tranny has closer 1-4 ratios, you don't get that power curve killing rpm drop when going from 2 to 3, something I look forward to doing to my own '94 DX is going to that transmission. The one really good substitute for power is gearing...that and weight reduction

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watched the first couple minutes, I strongly recommend breaking the habit of putting your thumbs inside the steering wheel, in the event something goes tits up and you hit something that whips the wheel around, it will break them and you will be a very unhappy guy with casts on both hands...also, you spend a lot of time with your hand on the shifter. Both hands on the wheel as often as possible.

Car seems healthy, sounds like you still have the stock DX tranny? The Si/EX tranny has closer 1-4 ratios, you don't get that power curve killing rpm drop when going from 2 to 3, something I look forward to doing to my own '94 DX is going to that transmission. The one really good substitute for power is gearing...that and weight reduction
I will keep that thumbs and hand placement in mind and will practice good form!

I drove the car 2 hours away to this track,
The car ran all day and remained bulletproof through all 6 of my 20 min sessions and got me back home, and also got me to work this morning! love it!!

that third gear drag was killing me... I will definitely also be looking into the ex transmission as well! but I may hold it off and get suspension first.. the body roll is outrageous, I three wheeled a couple of times.. other then that the car ran and handled pretty well, was a great first time experience. I am HOOKED!!

Thank you for the input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts