Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
see above
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
So let me start by saying I have only owned SOHC Hondas. Going on my 4th so far, but strangely first D series. Anyway! It's a 97 civic sedan DX with the y7. It's going to be my DD so I wont be doing anything crazy like engine swaps or even boosting it. The one thing I am going to do is swap the y7 head to a y8 so I can have vtec again. I've already starting finding all the parts I believe I need: y8 wiring harness, y8 head, y8 head studs, y8 IM and throttle body, y8 M/T p2p ecu. Plus the knock sensor. So other than the head swap, lip kit, rims and lowering springs I'm leaving it alone. Here is my ej6 parked next to my fa1 with my wife's cd5 in the garage. If you have any suggestions or tips for making my little ej a more comfortable DD I am all ears! Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Replace the header. Otherwise welcome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Only other thing is the IACV change. The Y7 has a 3 wire IACV. Your P2P will only be looking for a 2 wire. So you have to move 1 wire at the ecu and remove another. If you look up Y8 intake manifold on Y7 head, you'll find the info on that. I just did the swap myself. Pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
see above
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only other thing is the IACV change. The Y7 has a 3 wire IACV. Your P2P will only be looking for a 2 wire. So you have to move 1 wire at the ecu and remove another. If you look up Y8 intake manifold on Y7 head, you'll find the info on that. I just did the swap myself. Pretty straight forward.
Ok I'll do that, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
ek9 hatch, ej6 coupe
75 Posts
He's saying get a new header because the y7 factory sucks. You can't just "remove" it. Anyway I have had 5 d16y7 motors and 3 of them had cracked OEM headers so more incentive to swap it out. They crack from where the primary o2 sensor screws in and spread from there so I'd check that out. Just pop the heat shield off and u will see or u may be able to look thru the hole in the shield where the o2 sensor is. Good luck

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
^ That, I left it vague so you would look into it but he spelled it out nicely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts