Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my head gasket is on its way out on my y8 so i figured id take this time to rebuild my head since it has to come off any ways. This is going to be my first time ever really building something so i am interested in some feed back on my parts list and tips if i am forgetting anything. My goals for the overall build will be 200hp boosted dd. Like i said i plan on starting my build with the head then saving for my turbo kit latter.
Parts list for head rebuild
1.head resurfaced cleaned
2. Cometic mls headgasket 75.mm .030 thickness...which i think is close to stock
3.Arp headstud kit
4. Bc CAMSHAFT - STAGE 2 Normally Aspirated Street 316I/308E-292D
5. Bc SINGLE SPRING/TITANIUM RETAINER KIT
6.bc valve keepers and locks
7.ferrea 5000 series valves...Std
8.aem truetime cam gear
9.gates timing belt
Thats my parts list i believe i have all i need to do it im curious on valve stems seals though should i replace those too... would like some feedback on my cam choice too. Im at a tossup between cams... i was looking at the blox tuner series 2 would like to hear everyones opinion on them or if i should just stick to bc.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,204 Posts
Thats my parts list i believe i have all i need to do it im curious on valve stems seals though should i replace those too... would like some feedback on my cam choice too. Im at a tossup between cams... i was looking at the blox tuner series 2 would like to hear everyones opinion on them or if i should just stick to bc.
most d heads will benefit from installing new guides and valve seals ,so if you are getting the work done it isn;t that much extra to fully rebuild the head.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Sounds close to a head I just built a few weeks ago.

Since your getting BC springs and retainers, get the BC valves they will be just fine for your build.

Get the matching bronze guides too, along with a full set of Vition Blue seals.

With the guide work and new guides, get the +1mm OS valves.

Make sure the shop that installs the guides has a Sunnen Guide hone set up.

Also make sure they know how to install oversized valves.

Ask what equipment is used to surface your head.
If they say "belt surfacer or master head surfacer" Pick up your head and find another shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thanks...would i really benefit from over size valves...as in is it worth the cost over just throwing in new stock size valves..and what is the process of installing new valves will the head need more milling other than just being resurfaced...thanks for the help in the mean time il do more searchin lol

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Fodo.... yeah a bit.

But if it keeps him from getting a head built like the one I posted in the review section... then he will have a better build experience.

And when you pay to have something done, and its bad right out the box, it can take the wind out of your sails, and ruin the whole experience.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
No prob!

You had a valid question, with a good amount of info to help get you pointed in the right direction.

:bigok:

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
I'm just here to stir the pot, brother.

I was going to post a counter-help. But got lazy looking after looking for the pic above.

But you already had it covered anyway... *angrily walks away mumbling incoherent things...*

·
Registered
ek9 hatch, ej6 coupe
75 Posts
I literally have this exact head with BC n/a stage 2 you are hoping to build on my vitara. Just got it together and goes to the dyno first week of Feb. So ill let u know how it goes with boost. Only difference is ST valve springs. Keep the BC over the blox also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
200 hp stock boosted is easy you don't really have to build it just do maintenance . I would say shoot for 300hp to the crank if your gonna build it

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Ask what equipment is used to surface your head.
If they say "belt surfacer or master head surfacer" Pick up your head and find another shop.
A local machinist here uses a Storm Vulcan block master. Does that get the SVO thumbs up?

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
The Block master is a ok machine, good for cast iron and composite HG. Some have more up to date controls that can control the feed rate,85BE, and they are better than the older ones, 85B.

IMHO they still cut a bit to rough for aluminum and MLS HG.

Here is a vid of the 85B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p00o5tWxl-c

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
The Block master is a ok machine, good for cast iron and composite HG. Some have more up to date controls that can control the feed rate,85BE, and they are better than the older ones, 85B.

IMHO they still cut a bit to rough for aluminum and MLS HG.

Here is a vid of the 85B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p00o5tWxl-c
He said its modded to cut for MLS HG. I'm gonna go by and check out the shop today. He builds some fast engines though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts