Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading out to HPR tomorrow for my first road track experience.

It is "Open Lapping Day" - non-competetive and structured.

I have done some auto-x, and have taken my car to the limit.

I will be running my daily driven 99 LX, lightly modded N/A and suspension, with decent track tires.

Just wondering if anyone with road racing experience has advice to share.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Best of luck.

Remember, things that are fine on the street and even the autocross can be pushed beyond their limit on a real track.
Watch that ECT.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, thers have said that and I take it to heart.

I plan to have fun and safety is top on my list - being my street car...

I am pretty stoked about it and can already feel the adrenaline of being on a hot track.

What about technical strategy, like checking and adjusting tire pressure, tire temp, brake temp, cooling time any helpful tips?

Wish I had time to change to good pads, currently running OEM type ceramic pads and ATE Super Blue.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
What about technical strategy, like checking and adjusting tire pressure, tire temp, brake temp, cooling time any helpful tips?

Wish I had time to change to good pads, currently running OEM type ceramic pads and ATE Super Blue.
Make individual small changes at a time, and record them for reference. Like go out at a little higher pressure, get them warm and make some laps, then slowly bring the pressure down by a couple psi at a time and find the sweet spot.

The same technique goes for everything with the alignment as well.

Its a very slow, tedious, and time consuming process, but its all part of the fun of trying to get the most from your car on a track.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The same technique goes for everything with the alignment as well.

Its a very slow, tedious, and time consuming process, but its all part of the fun of trying to get the most from your car on a track.
Very good point. I have found the sweet spot with alignment and pressure for DD with street tires. There is probably room for improvement with different tires and toe adjustment (since that is all I have) when driving at the limit.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Um, listen to your instructor.....keep it in 4th gear, yeah that simple.

Don't forget point-byes!
No instructor...although some folks out there could have used one. And I was good about being alert and pointing everyone who needed around.

I had a successful day today. Spun it twice the first time out, cold tires- duh. Was a bit excited and got over ambitious.

After a couple sessions I was really able to work on my lines and was catching some Mustangs through the corners in the back half.

More seat time and a few extra HP, I think I could surprise some people.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no shots of me on track...

but there were some pretty cool cars out there today :yes:

Attachments

·
Registered
86 MR2
1,401 Posts
Nice!!! Then one feeling about going to the track especially if its your first time won't be something to forget for sure! Felt the same way when I went out to my first time attack nite at a track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts