Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, I just bought a 98 civic 2 dr ex. Apperently it's a D16Y8 engine.Whats the details on the engine? HP and TQ and shit? Anyways I just bought a Ingen RD series cold intake, but now I'm kinda lost one where to start. I guess I'm not trying to build it up for drag, I just wanna make it fast as possible, lol. So where should I start?

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
127 hp and hundred something torque at the crank... all basic boltons- intake, header, exhaust will net you maybe 15-20 or so horses. how fast are you looking to go- do you wanna run low
15s or low 13s? and what kinds of emissions laws do you have? lol gotta know the background before we can give you good advise

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean low15's or 13's. I'm new at this, but I have the resorces and help to do this. I'm not sure about my emmissions laws. I guess I really don't know much, lol. By the way, whats boosting, lol? I'm motivated tho. Oh yeah I have a autamatic, is that gonna limite me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
haha, you seem WAY too excited, but yeah. umm, low 15's or 13's or whatever is your 1/4 mile time. how fast do you wanna go? that motor has a TON of potential and an endless amount of aftermarket support. so you need to worry about smog(do you have to do a smog check where you're at to tag your car), and how much dedication *cough**money**cough* do you have?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool. Yeah i'm excited! first car I really like. I figured it was 1\4 time. i wanna go as fast as I can make it. And money is not a problem, I figure I can invest 1000-1500 a month. I just wanna do it in a systematic way.I know in NC 97 and later I believe have an emission test at inspection renewals, i just dnt know how exstensive it is, or is there degrees of emission test? And whens a good time to switch the tranny, i wanna wait as long as possible because my gf, but I might not switch! what should I do next. I love the cold air intake so far. I was thinking about putting on a Skunk2 intake manifold and throttle body, should I wait? I'll leave it up too you guys, what would you do next????? oh yeah wheres the best place to buy parts, I ordered from procivic.com.I admire the commitment you guys have here.

·
Registered
901 Posts
procivic is pretty expensive. you can find decent deals on ebay for some good stuff. other than that, just search it out. if you wanna go fast you're going to need more than that cold air intake. you'll need some sort of forced induction(turbo, supercharger, nitrous) to go FAST. your best bet would be to buy another Y8 motor, and start building for boost. there is a lot of info on here about boost builds, lots of guys making a lot of power for pretty cheap. as far as the intake manifold and the throttle body you won't notice anything right away. i'd go ahead with a decent exhaust system and work on the spare motor and do suspension work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. do I have to buy a spare motor or can I just do all the work on this one. So I guys next week I'll buy headers and exhaust. What kinda suspension work do you suggest?

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
you might want to stray away from things that will be taken off or replaced if you turbo your motor. the intake and header will dissapear. you will keep your manifold. i would search on here for some locals. and see what the smog issues are. if your not too strict. convert to obd1 get a cam and another ecu and tune that bad boy. intake a cam and exhaust and manifold. will make it semi fun. but it will come to life with a five speed swap. its all up to what you can get away with.

buy a greddy kit. spend 1400 dollars.and then you can be like me, through the web site see the error of your ways. =). either way. still turbo. and money is only paper if you dont spend it. =) good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, thats the info i need. whats obd1 and ecu? yeah i'm real geen to this, lol. whats kinda cam and ecu should i get and wheres a good place to order?

·
Registered
901 Posts
you have an obd2 p2p ecu in there right now. to do any type of tuning via ecu, you need to get an obd2-obd1 conversion harness then an obd1 vtec ecu. the most popular is the p28, but it's also the most expensive. just do some research and everyone is here to help you man!

·
Formerly weebeastie
937 Posts
From the great state of North Carolina

Where at in NC? If its a 98 you will have to pass an emissions test. All 96 and later must pass visual and sniff test. So unless you know somebody you'll have to pass emissions. Thats a little bit of a hinderance for tuning your car as you probably won't be able to switch to obd1 like you need too. Nitrous is an option, that won't harm your motor if installed correctly. Other than that you can do bolt ons and have a little fun.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I know someone that can do it ;) Also, you can still mod your car and pass emissions.
Speaking of turbo and tune; there's a place in Greensboro that does tuning called Turbotune(Chapman street IIRC, between Spring Garden and Lee St./High Point Rd) or Phantasm in Raleigh on Capital Blvd.

If you want to make it "competitive" with the other cars around the area, and money is no object, I highly suggest built-turbo or a (Sorry guys) motor swap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts