Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick background, here is a pic of my old setup before upgrading

Old setup used stock intake, ebay exhaust mani and DSM t25 Turbo, Dyno tuned on Hondata s300

New setup i went with Golden Eagle Intake, Doc Racing turbo mani and DSM 14b Turbo.(pic is when it wasnt totally finished)

As soon as I start it, it instantly jumps up to lik 4.5-5k RPMs and bounces there off a rev limit. Kind of baffled, dont know whats causing this. Only thing I changed was eliminated the Evap purge thing since the Golden eagle doesnt have a spot for it. Also the intake doesnt have a port for (hose 1) in pic so i took the hose coming out of the FITV and connected it to a port coming out of the Thermostat housing pipe

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Have you touched the throttle body at all?

Intake manifold / throttle body gasket change?

I just did a GSR throttle body swap yesterday and had the same 4K idle issue.

I found it to be my gasket, as it had the little "L" shaped groove for the FITV on the bottom, which the GSR TB did not have. So it had a direct flow of unregulated air passed the throttle plate.

Got a new, correct, gasket and that fixed it.

The other time I had an issue like this I had a leak right where the intake manifold meets the cylinder head. Again, unregulated air intake. Idled about 6K RPM lol.

Removed the gasket, applied sealer and boom, normal idle.

My .02

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock throttle body and new gasket. Now the port of the golden eagle intake is a lot bigger then the port of of my throttle body, so the fitv openings in the throttle body aren't blocked off anymore, they exposed to the big opening of the intake, maybe that's my issue???

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Stock throttle body and new gasket. Now the port of the golden eagle intake is a lot bigger then the port of of my throttle body, so the fitv openings in the throttle body aren't blocked off anymore, they exposed to the big opening of the intake, maybe that's my issue???
I am going to say yes.

I have a Z6 na that did the same thing. I blocked it off and (the FITV) and solved it. done this in the spring time and had no issues on warm up.

Cold weather might be a problem however

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep sure was the throttle body causing the issue with those ports exposed directly to the intake. put tape over where my thumb and finger is in the pic and instantly brought the idle down. THanks for the input! Guess i need to make a thing metal adapter plate to cover those holes

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I would just get a 60mm B18B1/C1, B16, etc throttle body that doesn't have a FITV on the bottom. Typically OBD2.

That's what I did this weekend. Can usually find them under $50. No finagling with making an adapter plate.

Just make sure you get the correct gasket without FITV ports and you'll be fine.

The FITV gave me idle issues when cold, once I got rid of it my idle is perfect warm or cold.

EDIT: Here shows the difference between the gasket having FITV ports and the throttle body that does not.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It's not the difference between FITV & non-FITV, it's the manifold's inlet being WAY TOO LARGE for the stock TB. Same end result, slightly different reason.

You can cut a 1/8" or 1/16" aluminum plate with a slightly larger O.D. than the throttle body and sandwich it between the TB and manifold. You'd just use a normal holesaw from homeboy depot & drill the 4 mounting screw holes, and maybe a 5th for the IACV port if your manifold makes use of it. I'd recommend hondabond between it and the manifold and a normal TB gasket between the plate and the TB. I'll be doing that with my K20 IM w/B-series TB since it's so easy.

The other option is an $89 Omni 70mm throttle body. It has those cavities reduced so you won't have that problem on a manifold with such a large inlet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts