Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Civic and sierra
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to hondas. I come from sbc, 5.3 ls, and miatas and recently picked up a 97 civic coupe with a d16y8 with 304,000 miles. Wanted to talk to some people about build ideas (I've never owned a stock car in my life lol) so joined the forum.
Currently I want to build na (yes that's right). Not looking for the fastest car in town just looking to have some fun and have a good mpg daily. So currently the build plan is
Motor
Shave head .030
DIY port and polish
Crower stage 2 cam and springs
Possibly skunk 2 intake?
Header and 2.25 exhaust (on the car)
Cai (on the car)
AFPR (on the car)

Trans
12lb flywheel
eBay 6 puck clutch
Atemept to find a lsd trans that fits
Vms short throw

Suspension
Progress group coil overs. Dropped 2"

Also planing to remove as much weight as I can live with. Manual steering, cruise delete, possible remove back seat, etc and have a chipped obd1 ecu with base map running 92 octane and access to hondata

Really looking for a fun responsive car with good handling. What's some opinions? Just trying to make sure I'm on the right track. Not sure what hondas respond to. Also the car runs really well with minimal oil use. What's the chances the oem rings can take the head coming off and higher compression?

Attachments

·
Registered
Civic and sierra
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured I'd just smooth everything up a bit and do a valve job. That's what I picked up from looking around the forums anyway.

·
Registered
Civic/4Runner
137 Posts
Most oil consumption on the y8 is from either leaking gaskets, spark plug gaskets, or valve seals. Do a compression test, then replace all the seals. N/A will give you a fair amount of fun in spirited driving, but with the right parts they love boost and make good power.

·
Registered
Civic and sierra
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just don't really trust myself to boost it reliably. I planned to do valve seals when the heads off and all the upper gaskets. Also what oil is recommended at 300k miles? I was always told to run 10w-30 after 150k to help with bearing wear but idk what's normal for hondas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts