Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up honda guys! I'm new to the forum so excuse my ignorance. i have 95 civic 4 door 5 speeds with a d15b7 engine. One of the piston's rod broke and made 2 holes in the engine block. I got my hands on d16y8 engine off a 98 civic coupe with automatic tranny. What type of modifications or parts would I need to have the d16y8 swap on my civic. I'm not looking to build a race car or drag race on the street, I want a reliable every day driver car for work. Any advice would really help since I'm pulling the d16y8 engine off the car tomorrow morning and if I need harness or ecu, I can get everything out at once:bowdown:

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,052 Posts
1 post is enough. you already asked in the wrong forum. a mod would have moved it to the proper forum

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
Firstly I'd make sure the d16y8 you're putting in has good health before you waste your time. As in make sure the compression is good, no leaks, starter/alternator work well. Then move forward to doing a lot of research.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
You can do this a few ways, look around for other build like the one you are doing. The answer is out there.

You can keep some of the components off your bad motor, intake, dizzy etc and make it a bit easier. Or just get the ecu and complete Y8 and harness, then get to re-pinning and making it look rad.

Search up both ways have been done on here, and the issues are worked out for you. Read up and most of all have fun.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did a compression test and 3 cylinders were around 150 psi, but one was low around 100 psi. I got a good deal on the motor, but the vehicle has been siting for around 10 months, so i'm hoping that with a good tune up, new plugs and some seals i could turn into a daily driver without doing any other major work on it.

·
Registered
Honda logo
32 Posts
Does the motor have good history?
Does it knock when running? Wouldn't imagine so if it's just the one
Just replace all valves and rings it with some new oem parts
Make sure to measure the skirt and piston to see if you need new Pistons or new rings.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
If there is a large variation in the compression then you may have a blown head gasket. Take the time and redo everything while it's out. Sounds like low comp on all cylinders but a 50 psi difference says something is wrong.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the car was sitting for 11 months, i put a new battery, check the oil, gas and coolant. the engine started at the first crank, it didn't have any knocking or weird sound. i took the oil cap off while it was running and it was blowing some white ish smoke out of it and also on the oil dip stick. Is that a sign why one of the cylinders has a lower compression?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts