Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a D16A6 that I'm tearing down (finally got the damn crank pulley bolt off, heh) and I'm going to rebuild the motor with P29s and a decked block, shooting for 12:1-12.5:1 for a CR. I've got a few questions, though..

1. eBay gasket sets: are they any good, or is an OEM kit from Majestic Honda worth the $200? I'll use an OEM head gasket, but what about the rest of the stuff? I'm on one hell of a budget here and need to cut costs where I can, but I don't want to hurt my reliability down the road.

2. Right now I'm planning on getting a Stage 2 cam regrind from Exospeed, simply because it's the cheapest I've found. Is there a more economical company for a new cam? $200 is still a good bit of cash.

3. General advice for a first-timer? I ask this everywhere I can, and I know the basics like "keep organized and label your parts." I'm looking for something more specific though, anything pertaining to D-series motors that I'm likely to overlook.

:TU: :TU: thanks in advance for any and all advice

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
1. i ran an ebay gasket set on my motor. good quality. i have an oilpan leak but im not blaiming the gasket. i would use an oem honda headgasket tho

2. deltacams.com for your regrind

3. have fun with it and take pics

·
Registered
102 Posts
1.i am running a 3 layer metal headgasket off ebay. you can search my username for my setup. as far as a set, not sure.

2. deltacam, i think gude does regrinds to

3. use copper spray on the headgasket

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I called Delta today, and I'll be going with the 272 regrind.

I got the pistons out tonight, and as suspected it spun a bearing, on the number four rod. The crank doesn't look too bad though and I think I should be able to get it fixed with oversized bearings.. I'll have pics tomorrow.

thanks again for the advice, this place has helped enormously with this whole project.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
if ur susspicious that it spun a rod take the head to a machine shop and have them go over it to make sure everything is fine with it, replace the rod, bearings and crank.. dont take a chance, once a spun bearing always a spun bearing

·
Registered
826 Posts
1.i am running a 3 layer metal headgasket off ebay. you can search my username for my setup. as far as a set, not sure.

2. deltacam, i think gude does regrinds to

3. use copper spray on the headgasket
gude doesn't make any good power. even look at the cam profiles compared to ther stage 2 regrinds....gude sucks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gude doesn't make any good power. even look at the cam profiles compared to ther stage 2 regrinds....gude sucks
Not to mention they're more expensive. I'm going with Delta for sure.

if ur susspicious that it spun a rod take the head to a machine shop and have them go over it to make sure everything is fine with it, replace the rod, bearings and crank.. dont take a chance, once a spun bearing always a spun bearing
I'm pretty sure it's spun..

They're both stacked on top of each other, haha.

I don't think the crank's too bad, though:

Hopefully I can just take the crank to a machine shop, have them shave it down, then measure clearances and buy some bigger bearings, correct? Should I replace the rod as well?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
man replace everything. my friends dad was a master machanic forever and a day and we talked about it before, and my friend tj put an over sized bearing in his S2K and driving normally about a block or 2 after he got it out of the shop it spun again, replace the crank, the bearings, the rod.... everything dont chance it if u wanna build ur motor, do it right the first time

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
just to let you know going into your first build, always plan on having enough money because the big parts are expected but all the little stuff that you didnt think of is what kills you with the money and the repeated trips back and forth to the auto parts store. but other than that just take pics and dont rush it and just have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
just to let you know going into your first build, always plan on having enough money because the big parts are expected but all the little stuff that you didnt think of is what kills you with the money and the repeated trips back and forth to the auto parts store. but other than that just take pics and dont rush it and just have fun with it.
i agree with u completly there. u can spend big money on big things, but when it comes down to the little things and all the trips that u r going to make it seems like u r spending more money at the auto parts store than u r on a cam or a head or pistons

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you think it'd be better to replace the crank, eh...

D16 rods and cranks are all identical, correct?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
ya man, thats.. bad, i wouldnt suggest using anything off of that engine unless its the block, id re-sleeve it as it is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts