Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just joined the forum and in need of some help. Ive got a zc sohc vtec 1.6 and Im planning on tearing it down and building a high compression N/A motor but not sure what exactly is the best bang for the buck to get to 150-160whp. I wanna put most of the money into the head but rebuild a strong reliable bottom end at the same time. Any suggestions at all would be good.

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
zc??

dohc rite?
there is more than just the dohc zc...

i have a non vtec sohc zc.....
and thats helpful how???

your going to want to look into some of the build threads on here... but the short n sweet is higher compression, headwork, and more than likely people are going to suggest a bisi cam...

you may also want to look into some tranny work also as there are some oem ways to get quite better gearing

·
Registered
In circles.LOL
862 Posts
Circle track engine?
Well first of searching and searching and seaching.not to be sarcastic but it will yeild answers to you own questions from seeing what others have done before.Showcase build threads is a good start.
Compression is key to n/a so you can go about it many ways.Gotta get good flow in the head so a pnp is wheere you start.DYI is self gatitude but you can send the head off and get quality.Flow bench tested and valves done too.Probably 5-7 angle since our engine come with a 3 angle already.That is some buku cash though.
After head is done you gotta focus on you compression ratios you want.You can just mill the head and run stock or pm6 pistons,or get High comp pistons.
You can choose from Oem or aftermaket.Oem you have to use oem rods or shaved b18 rods wit bushings.Pg6 is oem and on stock rods are good too 12:1 but only dd or weekend worior.Not the abuse of oval track racing.
After market rods and pistons is better,more reliable and lighter but more expensive
Once compression ratio is figured out you need to find a cam that is best for that CR.and use of your engine.Once again.DD is differant than all out race.
Most cam builders will work with you if it is all out race for your type of racing.
If dd you can get a regrind from delta,exospeed,or others.
Port your oil pump for sure.
Chip your ecu and plan on getting a tune or its a waste of money.

Ps,
Here is a budget n/a build idea.
DYI pnp on head
Laped valves
.050 mill on head
stock rods shotpened
stock pistons
Crank micropolished
new bearings
Proted oil pump
DYI Port Im
b series tb
delta 272 regrind.
racing purposes is what determins the tans and gearing.
tons of power is nothing without gearing.Depends on what it is used for.Let me state that the ex trans sucks for 3/8 mile oval racing.But is good for drag minus the 3rd gear IIRC.
And from searching and being told to STFU from Bone over it because i thought you needed to tune it at this cr.I have found that this is a cheap and effective n/a build that doesn't need a tune.Not the most reliable and not completly suggested without tune but has been done and is driven every day.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/131014-head-question.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya im definitely gonna get the head TOTALLY done because thats where the magic happens. I want high rpms if possible but i know i have to build the bottom a little bit at least, just not sure what piston and rods are worth it. I wanna make it able to last a long time while im stomping on it all the time

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
ya im definitely gonna get the head TOTALLY done because thats where the magic happens. I want high rpms if possible but i know i have to build the bottom a little bit at least, just not sure what piston and rods are worth it. I wanna make it able to last a long time while im stomping on it all the time
theres alot more magic than you think that happens in the bottom end. no rods = destroyed bottom end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya i wanna get the pistons rods and crank all ballanced up and n ice because ive got all this coming winter to toy with it. Ive heard so many different brands but just want something worth it. And i wanna shave the head down, Pnp, and replace the valve train with higher end valves retainers n clips, with a crower cam. ( not sure what stage)

What exactly is a 3 angle valve job by the way???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts