Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of Y8 intake manifolds and a B18B throttle body that I will be using on my turbo setup, so I decided to try port matching for the first time. I used a carbide bit and then a 80 grit 2 inch flap wheel. Problem is that there are some ridges all around the intake manifold opening. Is this a big deal? It is fixable? Or should I just recycle it and try again on my other manifold? How would I avoid doing this again?

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
that looks like you could save it if you didnt take too much material away. I would clean it up and smooth it all out. as long as you didnt open it up too much. how large is the opening now? smooth it out.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
it is better than it was stock. i did mine on a drill press at school so it turned out perfect. just make sure that none of those edges protrude into the opening of the tb. keep practicing.

+1

ryan

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Well, maybe next time take some time with it... I port-matched the inlet and outlet ports on my extra Z6 IM; it took a few hours, but did it right the first time. If you can thin out the mountains then go for it! but w/o a flow bench who knows what that would do...

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
I used a small cylinder hone for motorcycles. It took awhile but it was perfectly round.

·
Registered
Datsun cherry 100a
56 Posts
??

Well, I went at it for a while with the 2inch flap wheel and it didn't even out those ridges. I tried taking them down with the carbide bit, but it just pulls away from the ridge. What should I do? Get a smaller flapwheel or like a stone or something?
I feel stupid when looking into some posts...because i can't understand some words:cussing:
English is not my native language and some technical terms make me wonder what they mean. flap wheel, carbide bit, stone i know what it is, lol...and i know another thing aswell, you won't be needing an enlarged throtle body for a turbo engine.
Some tips like this make a very nice finishing to any work.

Cheers!

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
+1 for making the attemp. You dont think that these popular engine builders just woke up one morning and knew what they were doing either do you??? Nice job for the first time. A little sloppy, but keep trying.
Don

·
Registered
407 Posts

depending on how much room you still have to port. go to home depot and buy the 3 in flap wheel. itll be a hard fit but get that bitch in there. it will round things out for you. next time start with that.

m.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a 3 inch flap wheel as suggested. At first, there was no way it was going to fit into a 60mm hole. So I took a long zip tie and compressed the wheel down as much as I could. It still didn't fit all the way, but rotating it caused it to squeeze in. I took off the zip tie and ran it like that for several minutes, slowly pushing and pulling. I had to stop at one point because it was about to catch fire. But after about 2 minutes I pulled out the flap wheel and the inside was perfectly smooth with no ridges. I bolted up the throttle body, opened the plate, and stuck my finger at the meeting point. The transition is very smooth. The intake manifold side is slightly larger, but I am happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here's how it turned out:

BTW I had to drill and tap my own holes for the IACV. First time doing that too, and it was very easy.

Swapping to the Y8 manifold.

Here's my FITV block off plate going on 2+ years now. There's a blank paper gasket sandwiched in there.

I'm trying out an ebay Hondata-knockoff IM gasket. Someone's gotta try it. I still have about an hour left to complete the swap. Thanks for your comments.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Looks good. Can you measure the whole you made? curious to know how big you got it.

+1, rep 4 u

1 - 20 of 22 Posts